Lateralling Down in Same Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateralling Down in Same Market

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:16 pm

I’m a 4th year associate in a big secondary market. I’m not a prestiage whore, but the firm I’m at is one of the leaders in the market and also one a few leaders in my practice area in my market. The problem is I’m doing about 2400-2500 hours a year, and as a 4th year, I’m off to a similar start and will likely bill ~275 in December and am getting pushed to take on more work. Typical mid level burnout.

I’m thinking about leaving my current firm, and received an interview at another firm which seems very interested and is supposed to have a much better work life balance. I imagine one of the first questions I’ll receive is why I’m leaving my current firm. How do people typically answer this when they’re just leaving for better hours? I can’t explain why I’m interested in a different market, location or practice area, because they’re all the same, and it will look like total BS if I tell them I think this firm offers more sophisticated work, because they both do similar work.

Is there a good way to sell this? Frankly I have great performance reviews and relationships at the current firm, just can’t keep up with the pace anymore, but I think selling myself as “I want to work less” sounds terrible.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateralling Down in Same Market

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Is the other firm biglaw, or midlaw? If it's also biglaw, I think you have to be honest. You say exactly what you said here--I love the practice, I want to make partner, but I can't keep going at 2500. There must be a way to pursue my passion for this practice and have a slight semblance of W-L balance, knowing that this is still a client service business. That's a good answer.

If it's midlaw, I think they'll know.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateralling Down in Same Market

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the other firm biglaw, or midlaw? If it's also biglaw, I think you have to be honest. You say exactly what you said here--I love the practice, I want to make partner, but I can't keep going at 2500. There must be a way to pursue my passion for this practice and have a slight semblance of W-L balance, knowing that this is still a client service business. That's a good answer.

If it's midlaw, I think they'll know.
Thanks, definitely biglaw, but significantly smaller and more regional than my current firm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”