Tell my firm about second bar? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell my firm about second bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Hey everyone,

I started my biglaw job a couple months ago. I passed the bar, and i just signed up to take a second bar in feb. This is for my home state. I’m taking it because I don’t know how long I’ll last in my current city, and now is the best time to take it (not fully busy yet because just started and the material is still pretty fresh). I’m wondering if it’s a bad idea to tell my firm about the second bar. I just started so don’t want to start raising red flags that I’m a flight risk (even if it’s true)

FWIW, the firm has a policy to pay for a second bar if there’s an office in the second state, which there is in this case.

Anonymous User

Re: Tell my firm about second bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Note that, if you pass, your firm (or really, your firm's insurer) will likely require you to tell them for malpractice insurance reasons, since the insurer needs to know all states where the covered attorneys are licensed (at least at my firm). So they are gonna find out at some point...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm

I am also interested in this, but with the caveat the firm doesn't have an office in the state for the 2nd bar. If they found out, it would be clear its for flight reasons (which is true, wanna do 2-3 years at current place then peace back closer to home).

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 pm

OP - Does the office in the state you are taking the second bar in have work that you would be interested in doing? If so, it may be a good idea for you to reach out to attorneys in that office to talk to them about their practices, work, etc. Then, you can frame taking the second bar as you trying to build extra work streams for yourself. That should throw your current firm off your scent.

Other anon poster - can't really help you with that...

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm

SFSpartan wrote:OP - Does the office in the state you are taking the second bar in have work that you would be interested in doing? If so, it may be a good idea for you to reach out to attorneys in that office to talk to them about their practices, work, etc. Then, you can frame taking the second bar as you trying to build extra work streams for yourself. That should throw your current firm off your scent.

Other anon poster - can't really help you with that...
If it's a neighboring state it might be an easier sale (Illinois/Indiana, Illinois/Missouri, New York/New Jersey, Maryland/Virginia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notDINGBAT

New

Post by notDINGBAT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Note that, if you pass, your firm (or really, your firm's insurer) will likely require you to tell them for malpractice insurance reasons, since the insurer needs to know all states where the covered attorneys are licensed (at least at my firm). So they are gonna find out at some point...
at a large firm, it's highly unlikely that the admin will notify senior partners about this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:51 pm

notDINGBAT wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Note that, if you pass, your firm (or really, your firm's insurer) will likely require you to tell them for malpractice insurance reasons, since the insurer needs to know all states where the covered attorneys are licensed (at least at my firm). So they are gonna find out at some point...
at a large firm, it's highly unlikely that the admin will notify senior partners about this
Can you just wait for C&F regarding licensing so you never are licensed?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
notDINGBAT wrote:
Can you just wait for C&F regarding licensing so you never are licensed?
Ya you won’t have to report to insurance carrier until you are actually a member of the bar. But I think that looks shadier, just tell the licensing/or whoever at your firm.

Firm knows most people aren’t there for the long haul... I don’t think them knowing this will meaningfully impact the work you get, etc.

Plus, most firms (I know mine does) pay for up to 2 bar license fees. Maybe they won’t cover your test fees, but might cover annual dues or whatever.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't see any reason to mention it until you're actually licensed/admitted into the other state. Tell them once you've met all requirements and have an oath ceremony date set...

I also second that should you end up notifying admin/HR, it's unlikely this is something that Partner's would be informed about. Admin/HR will likely just tell you.....To get back to them with your state attorney #/ID once you're actually admitted in that state.

That being said, if partners did know you were studying for a second bar exam on the side- this would be a ripe excuse for them to attribute any inadequate work or mistakes to a lack of time/devotion to the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 am

OP here: just as an update, I told HR. They are approving it and paying for the fees per firm policy. They also offered my paid leave, although I'll probably only take a week or two leading up to the exam. In hindsight, I don't think it would have made sense to hide it from them. It would have been stranger, I think, to all of the sudden drop the news on your firm that you're barred up in a new state and that you did all of it without telling anyone. But my experience might be different because of the firm policy to pay for a second bar, and because the second state is my firm's HQ.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: just as an update, I told HR. They are approving it and paying for the fees per firm policy. They also offered my paid leave, although I'll probably only take a week or two leading up to the exam. In hindsight, I don't think it would have made sense to hide it from them. It would have been stranger, I think, to all of the sudden drop the news on your firm that you're barred up in a new state and that you did all of it without telling anyone. But my experience might be different because of the firm policy to pay for a second bar, and because the second state is my firm's HQ.
Firm policy and HR is one thing. The only potential issue comes with partners if it's really busy and you're unavailable leading up to your bar exam when you want to take vacation.

But I guess if you plan on leaving in the not-to-distant future anyways, you don't need to impress anyone too much as long as your work is decent for a year or two.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”