Bar Exam Retake in Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar Exam Retake in Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:27 pm

For others in Biglaw that failed the bar exam the first time around, how much time are you spending in the office leading up to the February Exam?

Where/when are you getting your studying in? Did your firm trim back your billable work?

Anonymous User

Re: Bar Exam Retake in Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm

I worked "full-time" through until the month before the exam. I continued working on whatever I was involved in already as usual, and a few other things as was either urgent or substantial for my group. The way I get work isn't through any assignment system though. People personally request it, and I work with certain people more than others.

I didn't actively seek out work, however - and considering I was new and there's no universal assignment pool/coordinator, this kept things manageable to let me study almost every single day after work and on weekends.

Was allowed to take the month off before the exam to study full-time, no questions asked - just let the people I was working for and someone at HR know so my hours were pro-rated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. That sounds a bit like what others at my firm that have had this happen have done in the past for their retake. However, I was told they wouldn't pro-rate my hours at all (I will still work less hours, but if I'm under my target billable for the year because of working less while studying, I think I'll just get a smaller bonus next year or no bonus). I'm totally fine with no bonus, I'd happily trade that to get through this exam.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:57 pm

I was let go around Dec 20th for three months. No pay no benefits. I passed and left that firm as quickly as I could because fuck them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was let go around Dec 20th for three months. No pay no benefits. I passed and left that firm as quickly as I could because fuck them.
So they fired you basically for 3 months? And then wanted you to start working again presumably once you'd taken the bar?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was let go around Dec 20th for three months. No pay no benefits. I passed and left that firm as quickly as I could because fuck them.
So they fired you basically for 3 months? And then wanted you to start working again presumably once you'd taken the bar?
Correct.

In retrospect, I now realize that they didn't want me to come back after the bar, but I did.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:36 pm

^Harsh :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”