Page 1 of 1

What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 am
by Anonymous User
I'm a 3L in the Veil of Tears. I have a 2nd callback at a midlaw firm next week that I think I will likely get an offer from (my impression is that this 3rd interview is a formality). I think it probably pays around 80k in NYC starting (no exact numbers, but this is the range I've been lead to expect). The firm isn't a NALP firm.

I'm also in the running for a federal honors program that hasn't hired yet. I thought my callback went very well.

What is the move here? Do I need to just take the offer and forget about the honors program? Is it worth asking about having the timeline extended, or is the risk of them just rescinding it too great? People I know outside of the legal field have said I should accept and then reneg if I get the fedgov position, but I'm worried about my reputation, and want to be honest.

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 am
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L in the Veil of Tears. I have a 2nd callback at a midlaw firm next week that I think I will likely get an offer from (my impression is that this 3rd interview is a formality). I think it probably pays around 80k in NYC starting (no exact numbers, but this is the range I've been lead to expect). The firm isn't a NALP firm.

I'm also in the running for a federal honors program that hasn't hired yet. I thought my callback went very well.

What is the move here? Do I need to just take the offer and forget about the honors program? Is it worth asking about having the timeline extended, or is the risk of them just rescinding it too great? People I know outside of the legal field have said I should accept and then reneg if I get the fedgov position, but I'm worried about my reputation, and want to be honest.


Accept then reneg later. It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Does the Honors Program pay more?

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 am
by notDINGBAT
if you're in the veil of tears and you get a decent job offer, don't hesitate, take it

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 am
by Anonymous User
notDINGBAT wrote:if you're in the veil of tears and you get a decent job offer, don't hesitate, take it


So would your suggestion be to immediately accept and then reneg later if I get the other position, or accept and then withdraw?

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am
by Anonymous User
Depending on the honors program, you might be getting a decision in the next couple of weeks. If you get the firm offer, you can ask for some time to think about it and then wait whatever amount of time they give you to see if you hear about the honors progrram before accepting. No reason to accept right away.

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 pm
by pancakes3
guys, it's VALE of tears.

+1 on accept and reneg. it'll be uncomfortable but if you're a 3L, they'll have plenty of time to regroup and rehire and shouldn't sweat it too much.

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm
by notDINGBAT
Anonymous User wrote:
notDINGBAT wrote:if you're in the veil of tears and you get a decent job offer, don't hesitate, take it


So would your suggestion be to immediately accept and then reneg later if I get the other position, or accept and then withdraw?

I recommend not rejecting it without something else popping up. If they give you a solid offer, you can delay a bit, but don't jeopardize a firm offer in the hopes something better comes along.