What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302845
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 am

I'm a 3L in the Veil of Tears. I have a 2nd callback at a midlaw firm next week that I think I will likely get an offer from (my impression is that this 3rd interview is a formality). I think it probably pays around 80k in NYC starting (no exact numbers, but this is the range I've been lead to expect). The firm isn't a NALP firm.

I'm also in the running for a federal honors program that hasn't hired yet. I thought my callback went very well.

What is the move here? Do I need to just take the offer and forget about the honors program? Is it worth asking about having the timeline extended, or is the risk of them just rescinding it too great? People I know outside of the legal field have said I should accept and then reneg if I get the fedgov position, but I'm worried about my reputation, and want to be honest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302845
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L in the Veil of Tears. I have a 2nd callback at a midlaw firm next week that I think I will likely get an offer from (my impression is that this 3rd interview is a formality). I think it probably pays around 80k in NYC starting (no exact numbers, but this is the range I've been lead to expect). The firm isn't a NALP firm.

I'm also in the running for a federal honors program that hasn't hired yet. I thought my callback went very well.

What is the move here? Do I need to just take the offer and forget about the honors program? Is it worth asking about having the timeline extended, or is the risk of them just rescinding it too great? People I know outside of the legal field have said I should accept and then reneg if I get the fedgov position, but I'm worried about my reputation, and want to be honest.


Accept then reneg later. It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Does the Honors Program pay more?

User avatar
notDINGBAT
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby notDINGBAT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 am

if you're in the veil of tears and you get a decent job offer, don't hesitate, take it

Anonymous User
Posts: 302845
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 am

notDINGBAT wrote:if you're in the veil of tears and you get a decent job offer, don't hesitate, take it


So would your suggestion be to immediately accept and then reneg later if I get the other position, or accept and then withdraw?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302845
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

Depending on the honors program, you might be getting a decision in the next couple of weeks. If you get the firm offer, you can ask for some time to think about it and then wait whatever amount of time they give you to see if you hear about the honors progrram before accepting. No reason to accept right away.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 6176
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 pm

guys, it's VALE of tears.

+1 on accept and reneg. it'll be uncomfortable but if you're a 3L, they'll have plenty of time to regroup and rehire and shouldn't sweat it too much.

User avatar
notDINGBAT
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: What to do about potential offer from non-NALP firm and Honors program timeline

Postby notDINGBAT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
notDINGBAT wrote:if you're in the veil of tears and you get a decent job offer, don't hesitate, take it


So would your suggestion be to immediately accept and then reneg later if I get the other position, or accept and then withdraw?

I recommend not rejecting it without something else popping up. If they give you a solid offer, you can delay a bit, but don't jeopardize a firm offer in the hopes something better comes along.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.