2018 Texas 1L SA Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Any word on King and Spalding Houston? I am a 1L at Texas and, although my grades are not stellar (barely above 50%) I still got a callback and I feel really confident about it. I have unusually strong ties to the Houston market. I have it on good authority that I am going to be offered a judicial internship with a district judge later this week (current clerk is close friend from undergrad), so I am really seeking some clarity on what the situation is. Any help appreciated. Many Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on King and Spalding Houston? I am a 1L at Texas and, although my grades are not stellar (barely above 50%) I still got a callback and I feel really confident about it. I have unusually strong ties to the Houston market. I have it on good authority that I am going to be offered a judicial internship with a district judge later this week (current clerk is close friend from undergrad), so I am really seeking some clarity on what the situation is. Any help appreciated. Many Thanks!
Told on good authority summer class is full (first year they're doing a 1L program, very few spots) and if they decide to take another person, it'll be a month or two before you hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word on King and Spalding Houston? I am a 1L at Texas and, although my grades are not stellar (barely above 50%) I still got a callback and I feel really confident about it. I have unusually strong ties to the Houston market. I have it on good authority that I am going to be offered a judicial internship with a district judge later this week (current clerk is close friend from undergrad), so I am really seeking some clarity on what the situation is. Any help appreciated. Many Thanks!
Told on good authority summer class is full (first year they're doing a 1L program, very few spots) and if they decide to take another person, it'll be a month or two before you hear back.

Thank you for responding. I was not expecting much because my grades are not really where I want them to be (d*mn you civ pro!), but now I can accept the judicial internship (offered this afternoon!) without a "what if" worry. Would have thought that they would at least send me a rejection, but maybe in the coming days. Best of luck to everyone out there!

chris23topher

New

Post by chris23topher » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Hey there! right below top 3rd at SMU. I sent out about 15 or so 1L LCLD and other random diversity applications, but haven't heard back from anyone just yet. Should I give up and accept an internship with a fed gov agency I just received?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm

chris23topher wrote:Hey there! right below top 3rd at SMU. I sent out about 15 or so 1L LCLD and other random diversity applications, but haven't heard back from anyone just yet. Should I give up and accept an internship with a fed gov agency I just received?
When did you submit and what firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chris23topher

New

Post by chris23topher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chris23topher wrote:Hey there! right below top 3rd at SMU. I sent out about 15 or so 1L LCLD and other random diversity applications, but haven't heard back from anyone just yet. Should I give up and accept an internship with a fed gov agency I just received?
Baker botts
Barnes Thornburg
Baker Donelson
Hunton Williams
Husch Blackwell
Jones Day
Kirkland Ellis
McGlinchey Stafford
O'Melveny
PepsiCo - Thompson Fellowship
Thompson Knight
Vinson Elkins
Haynes Boone
Best Best Krieger

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:05 am

chris23topher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Baker botts
Barnes Thornburg
Baker Donelson
Hunton Williams
Husch Blackwell
Jones Day
Kirkland Ellis
McGlinchey Stafford
O'Melveny
Thompson Knight
Vinson Elkins
Haynes Boone
Best Best Krieger
When did you apply? I assume no screeners yet?

Based on this and other threads + anecdotal evidence I would cross off BB/K&E/V&E as either full or waiting on people to accept offers. If you haven't screened you're probably late to the game for TK/JD/Hunton & Williams/Husch Blackwell/HayBoo as well, but I can't say that with certainty because the info in this thread has been pretty scarce. Can't speak to the others. (O'Melveny doesn't even have an office in TX tho)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chris23topher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Baker botts
Barnes Thornburg
Baker Donelson
Hunton Williams
Husch Blackwell
Jones Day
Kirkland Ellis
McGlinchey Stafford
O'Melveny
Thompson Knight
Vinson Elkins
Haynes Boone
Best Best Krieger

Based on this and other threads + anecdotal evidence I would cross off BB/K&E/V&E as either full or waiting on people to accept offers. If you haven't screened you're probably late to the game for TK/JD/Hunton & Williams/Husch Blackwell/HayBoo as well, but I can't say that with certainty because the info in this thread has been pretty scarce. Can't speak to the others. (O'Melveny doesn't even have an office in TX tho)
A lot of them I applied to in early to mid January! I supplemented my app with a couple of others and they replied saying thank you and what not. I take it that means they're still deciding on stuff but I have no idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chris23topher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Baker botts
Barnes Thornburg
Baker Donelson
Hunton Williams
Husch Blackwell
Jones Day
Kirkland Ellis
McGlinchey Stafford
O'Melveny
Thompson Knight
Vinson Elkins
Haynes Boone
Best Best Krieger

A lot of them I applied to in early to mid January! I supplemented my app with a couple of others and they replied saying thank you and what not. I take it that means they're still deciding on stuff but I have no idea.
For TX firms, that seems to be almost too late to apply because most people were interviewing in late December/early January before classes started again. I get that diversity fellowships are on their own timeline (aka already accepted an offer, but haven't heard back from a diversity fellowship I applied for on December 1).

I know diversity applicants for HayBoo are still waiting back but I don't know when they applied.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chris23topher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Baker botts
Barnes Thornburg
Baker Donelson
Hunton Williams
Husch Blackwell
Jones Day
Kirkland Ellis
McGlinchey Stafford
O'Melveny
Thompson Knight
Vinson Elkins
Haynes Boone
Best Best Krieger

For TX firms, that seems to be almost too late to apply because most people were interviewing in late December/early January before classes started again. I get that diversity fellowships are on their own timeline (aka already accepted an offer, but haven't heard back from a diversity fellowship I applied for on December 1).

I know diversity applicants for HayBoo are still waiting back but I don't know when they applied.
Where is HayBoo D currently with non-diverse applicants? Just interviewing UT students so far?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chris23topher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Baker botts
Barnes Thornburg
Baker Donelson
Hunton Williams
Husch Blackwell
Jones Day
Kirkland Ellis
McGlinchey Stafford
O'Melveny
Thompson Knight
Vinson Elkins
Haynes Boone
Best Best Krieger

Where is HayBoo D currently with non-diverse applicants? Just interviewing UT students so far?
HayBoo Dallas is only taking 1L IP summers for non-diversity. I interviewed for IP 17 days ago and just got dinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote: HayBoo Dallas is only taking 1L IP summers for non-diversity. I interviewed for IP 17 days ago and just got dinged.
Great info, thanks. Any Fast Track movement that you’re aware of?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

any info on BB austin, and whether their 1L class is full?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any info on BB austin, and whether their 1L class is full?
on good information it's full.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:52 pm

NRF - Houston CB request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 am

Any movement with Haynes and Boone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am

Does anyone know the general conversion rate from 1L SA to 2L offer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the general conversion rate from 1L SA to 2L offer?
That information is available for NALP and firm-specific, but generally a firm is hiring a 1L SA with the expectation that they made the "right" choice and that you will likely be re-offered unless you turn out to be weird/punch anyone drunkenly at a firm party/fail to do whatever assignments you are given. (Its still a 6-8/week interview though, but the idea is that if you show the work effort that you put in to get the grades... you should be fine). *Not sure how grade cut-offs for BB and V&E work, but they are there.

Anecdotally, I've heard that those who participate in LCLD and those chosen through diversity SAs are less likely to be invited back (we could get into the reasons for this on another thread) and that their numbers aren't included within the SA count on NALP. I am not entirely certain if they are included on NALP or not, but I have heard from 2Ls and 3Ls that HayBoo's Dallas office only gives offers to a handful of their 1L Diversity Scholar Program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the general conversion rate from 1L SA to 2L offer?
That information is available for NALP and firm-specific, but generally a firm is hiring a 1L SA with the expectation that they made the "right" choice and that you will likely be re-offered unless you turn out to be weird/punch anyone drunkenly at a firm party/fail to do whatever assignments you are given. (Its still a 6-8/week interview though, but the idea is that if you show the work effort that you put in to get the grades... you should be fine). *Not sure how grade cut-offs for BB and V&E work, but they are there.

Anecdotally, I've heard that those who participate in LCLD and those chosen through diversity SAs are less likely to be invited back (we could get into the reasons for this on another thread) and that their numbers aren't included within the SA count on NALP. I am not entirely certain if they are included on NALP or not, but I have heard from 2Ls and 3Ls that HayBoo's Dallas office only gives offers to a handful of their 1L Diversity Scholar Program.
I think its more a function of people with ties going to TX firms as 1Ls because TX is more friendly to 1Ls, and then changing to their actual target markets at OCI. I find it hard to believe that these firms classes are consistently so bad that they would no-offer >50% and not just recruit less. I think we would somewhat know about it if this was standard practice in TX, the same way we somewhat know about a difference in offer rates for LCLD. Anyway, I'm in the same Big TX boat as everyone else so here's to hoping for the 2L offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Anyone know when we'll start getting movement on HayBoo Fast Track (Dallas)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am

In case anyone is curious about Winston & Strawn's Houston office -- I was given an interview offer, but had to turn it down.

For those still looking for 1L spots at big law firms, the big law firms are still looking!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 am

Heard Weil Dallas has started making offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That makes a lot of sense, thanks. It does seem unlikely, though, that a full 6 out of 8 1L SAs voluntarily decided not to return? I'm guessing that a non-insignificant % of those people still got no-offered (hard to tell b/c firms don't have to report 1L offer rates to NALP).

Assuming that no offers are pretty rare, how much do you think they hurt for 2L OCI if you do get no-offered for Texas specifically?
I’m a 2L who did a 1L SA with one of V&E’s peer firms and most of us had a second half firm. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of people ended up wanting to go to a different Texas city, stick with their second half firm, or give NY or DC a try. Nearly everyone I know got return offers. The ones who didn’t weren’t good fits and saw it coming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Does anyone have any info regarding Fish & Richardson? It's been two weeks since my CB :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Can confirm a classmate at CCN accepted the Diversity Fellowship at Weil (Dallas) today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”