2018 Texas 1L SA Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Past years' threads have been pretty informative, so hopefully this can be a good hub for exchanging news on Texas 1L SA positions.

I'm assuming there's been no real movement yet. Sent out applications on Dec 1. BB Dallas said to update with grades - just an automated response. Jackson Walker Dallas extended holiday reception invite.

T20, native Texan, Texas undergrad, non-URM, limited work experience.

Anonymous User

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Baker Hostetler Houston says their summer class is full.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:10 pm

T6 Native Texan and Texas UG; Submitted 12/01

Invited to BB Hou/KE Hou/JD Dallas receptions by upperclassmen but not through the firms themselves. JW Hou invited me to a reception.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Just got an invite for TK Hou but I won't be in town for the date. Should I send a thank you but cannot attend email or just don't respond? I applied there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Gardere, Sidley, and Norton Rose Fulbright Dallas receptions are all at the exact same time...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Baker McKenzie Dallas and Houston 1L apps are open.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gardere, Sidley, and Norton Rose Fulbright Dallas receptions are all at the exact same time...
FWIW Gardere and Sidley are in the same building. Last year I knew several people who hit 3 receptions in a single evening, so it is definitely doable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Gardere, Sidley, and Norton Rose Fulbright Dallas receptions are all at the exact same time...
FWIW Gardere and Sidley are in the same building. Last year I knew several people who hit 3 receptions in a single evening, so it is definitely doable.
Did those people end up doing fine with the firms, or were they affected negatively at all by not staying for the entire reception?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did those people end up doing fine with the firms, or were they affected negatively at all by not staying for the entire reception?
Anecdotally they seemed to do roughly as well as anyone else. These receptions are generally structured as a "come as you please" type event. It mostly involves standing in various circles making small talk with attorneys. As long as you meet a few people at each event and make a decent impression, you will be fine leaving early or showing up late. Firms know the game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Lit boutiques often hire 1Ls but don't get as many applicants. Hit them up. PM me if you have questions.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Did this throughout OCI. The important thing is you pick up your nametag, talk to recruiting, and have 1 or 2 conversations you could then reference later in an interview. You can get in and out of a recruiting reception in 30 minutes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Any confirmed movement yet other than reception invites/grade requests? Any interview invites?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Holiday reception invite for V&E Houston but nothing else so far

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an invite for TK Hou but I won't be in town for the date. Should I send a thank you but cannot attend email or just don't respond? I applied there.
Might be a good idea to email and let them know you won't be in town and emphasize your continued interest in the firm. You could also reach out to UG/law school alumni at TK to see if they'd be willing to grab a coffee during the dates you're in town.

Disclaimer: I'm a fellow 1L so take this advice with a grain of salt. Just what I'd do in the same situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an invite for TK Hou but I won't be in town for the date. Should I send a thank you but cannot attend email or just don't respond? I applied there.
Might be a good idea to email and let them know you won't be in town and emphasize your continued interest in the firm. You could also reach out to UG/law school alumni at TK to see if they'd be willing to grab a coffee during the dates you're in town.

Disclaimer: I'm a fellow 1L so take this advice with a grain of salt. Just what I'd do in the same situation.
Thanks for the reply. I think that's fair. I don't think it can hurt, only help. Good advice on the alumnus part too.

GorillaWarfare

New

Post by GorillaWarfare » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Got an offer to invite with V&E (HTX) and Hogan Lovells. I'm out of state right now and it seems like none of the firms reimburse for travels expenses. Is that standard practice for all TX big law firms?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:Got an offer to invite with V&E (HTX) and Hogan Lovells. I'm out of state right now and it seems like none of the firms reimburse for travels expenses. Is that standard practice for all TX big law firms?
By “offer to invite” are you referring to invited to an interview or a holiday reception? No one is going to reimburse you for travel expenses to their reception. Can’t speak for interviews though as I never traveled for one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Add BB to this list. At least theirs starts an hour earlier than the others.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm sure it's good to go to these receptions. If I miss a few, however, does that essentially ding me from that firm for 1L summer?

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm

poptart123 wrote:I'm sure it's good to go to these receptions. If I miss a few, however, does that essentially ding me from that firm for 1L summer?
No. Going doesn’t mean you’ll be hired either. At all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 pm

ausimpv wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I'm sure it's good to go to these receptions. If I miss a few, however, does that essentially ding me from that firm for 1L summer?
About how many 1Ls usually go to these receptions? 50+? It seems like virtually everyone who applies gets an invitation to the reception.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ausimpv wrote:
About how many 1Ls usually go to these receptions? 50+? It seems like virtually everyone who applies gets an invitation to the reception.
It seems like the general receptions are for anybody who applies, but I've been invited to some specifically for my school or my school + another (T6).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ausimpv wrote:
It seems like the general receptions are for anybody who applies, but I've been invited to some specifically for my school or my school + another (T6).
Interesting, are these T6 receptions at the big three firms? I didn't think there'd be enough T6 people with TX ties to justify a separate reception

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ausimpv wrote:
Interesting, are these T6 receptions at the big three firms? I didn't think there'd be enough T6 people with TX ties to justify a separate reception
Neither are big 3 firms but both I've been invited to are V20 or higher... so you can probably make a pretty good guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ausimpv wrote:
Neither are big 3 firms but both I've been invited to are V20 or higher... so you can probably make a pretty good guess.
Houston?

EDIT: Are you same T6 student as the 2nd reply in the thread?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”