3L without any offers and new here Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tb12345

New

3L without any offers and new here

Post by tb12345 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 pm

I have no idea what to do as I am about to go home for the holiday and tell my parents im a loser.

What the hell should I do? Mass mail? How do I even get a list of all the firms in my area? Literally if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L without any offers and new here

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:27 pm

First of all, you're definitely not a loser! A lot of people graduate without jobs and that is totally a normal position to be in. While it is definitely not the ideal scenario, it is far from hopeless at this point. I would go talk to your school's career services center about best places to start. It's a little late for mass mailing, but targeted emails to your school's alumni at specific firms in specific geographic areas might be helpful. What market are you attempting to target? Are you open to other career possibilities like government work, etc.?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 pm

grades, market and school tier?

tb12345

New

Post by tb12345 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:First of all, you're definitely not a loser! A lot of people graduate without jobs and that is totally a normal position to be in. While it is definitely not the ideal scenario, it is far from hopeless at this point. I would go talk to your school's career services center about best places to start. It's a little late for mass mailing, but targeted emails to your school's alumni at specific firms in specific geographic areas might be helpful. What market are you attempting to target? Are you open to other career possibilities like government work, etc.?
T3 school and the Boston area market but open to New York. At this point I'm open to anything.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 am

Not to be a downer OP, but if you are at a t3 in boston, which I imagine might be Northeastern, you are gonna have to work exceedingly hard to get any legal job given that half or more of your classmates wont.

You need to broaden your perspective. That means applying for things all across the country. You have no ability to only focus on Boston or NY, because you need to really look everywhere for a job.

A consideration might be working as a rural DA in the midwest. I know quite a few counties are hiring. The problem just happens to be that they in the middle of nowhere and pay almost nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

sparkytrainer wrote: A consideration might be working as a rural DA in the midwest. I know quite a few counties are hiring. The problem just happens to be that they in the middle of nowhere and pay almost nothing.
To that point, if you've no criminal law experience, you have one winter break and a spring semester in which to get it. You should be trying to make sure you can turn out three resumes - one for criminal law, one for civil litigation and one transnational. That way you can apply for almost any opening anywhere.

What did you do the past two summers?

tb12345

New

Post by tb12345 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am

albanach wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote: A consideration might be working as a rural DA in the midwest. I know quite a few counties are hiring. The problem just happens to be that they in the middle of nowhere and pay almost nothing.
To that point, if you've no criminal law experience, you have one winter break and a spring semester in which to get it. You should be trying to make sure you can turn out three resumes - one for criminal law, one for civil litigation and one transnational. That way you can apply for almost any opening anywhere.

I worked in a city hall in the solicitors office both summers.

My trouble is also I literally dont even know where to apply. My symplicity at my school sucks and I don't even know where to begin looking honestly.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 am

tb12345 wrote:
albanach wrote:

I worked in a city hall in the solicitors office both summers.

My trouble is also I literally dont even know where to apply. My symplicity at my school sucks and I don't even know where to begin looking honestly.
You need to look everywhere. Like literally.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 am

Find every DA office in your surrounding area first, and start sending out feelers to extern in those offices. I'm talking any DA office where you'd consider working. This starts with little more than a google search "[city] district attorney jobs." Every website should have a contact where you can inquire about internships, etc.

On the civil side, you should be looking for any alumni of your school and see if they'd be willing to let you come on and work with them during the spring semester. If/when you find one, work your tail off for them so they'll maybe consider hiring you once you pass the bar full time.

You can do this, but you have to be relentless. You have to go down to very basics such as google searches in the areas you'd want to work, Linkedin stalking alumni and cold contacting, and finding any place that will let you work for them during the spring to establish some contacts in that office.

The handwringing and sense of hopelessness needs to end now. The only way you're going to land something is if you put yourself out there and keep trying until you have something.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hilit=vale

Also, check out this thread, cause it has a ton of value coming from people who were in similar situations as you are now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:05 pm

In the same position. I have times where I'm pretty upbeat and know I'll find something, but there are other times where I just get super down. Its hard seeing my classmates have things locked up an their future is clear and I'm still here searching.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:43 pm

just keep on chugging. if you missed the biglaw boat and are applying to shitlaw, they're not going to interview (much less extend offers) to 1st semester 3L's. you've got a long way to go (graduate, pass the bar) before they'll look at your resume.

you can still apply for internships for the Spring and state-level clerkships too.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Def apply for state level clerkships and be open to going to any state. Some of my classmates managed to score state-level clerkships during 3L. Two of them are in Alaska. I get snapchats of moose chilling in their driveway every morning.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tb12345

New

Post by tb12345 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 pm

UVA2B wrote:Find every DA office in your surrounding area first, and start sending out feelers to extern in those offices. I'm talking any DA office where you'd consider working. This starts with little more than a google search "[city] district attorney jobs." Every website should have a contact where you can inquire about internships, etc.

On the civil side, you should be looking for any alumni of your school and see if they'd be willing to let you come on and work with them during the spring semester. If/when you find one, work your tail off for them so they'll maybe consider hiring you once you pass the bar full time.

You can do this, but you have to be relentless. You have to go down to very basics such as google searches in the areas you'd want to work, Linkedin stalking alumni and cold contacting, and finding any place that will let you work for them during the spring to establish some contacts in that office.

The handwringing and sense of hopelessness needs to end now. The only way you're going to land something is if you put yourself out there and keep trying until you have something.

Good luck!
Thank you for your advice. It definitely gives me a few ideas of where to pursue next. Also I want to thank everyone else in the thread as well.

I am probably going to sit down this entire weekend and get my shit together and start trying as hard as I can to find something for the spring. Hopefully someone will have some christmas spirit and give me a shot.

tb12345

New

Post by tb12345 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm

mcmand wrote:Def apply for state level clerkships and be open to going to any state. Some of my classmates managed to score state-level clerkships during 3L. Two of them are in Alaska. I get snapchats of moose chilling in their driveway every morning.
I am beginning to wonder if this is my only shot. To be fair, a year or two of clerkship experience will probably make me feel much more confident about applying to places especially with my background.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 pm

My office in rural New Mexico hired someone from Northeastern Law who got fired from his last DA job and was working as a bouncer.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 pm

tb12345 wrote:
mcmand wrote:Def apply for state level clerkships and be open to going to any state. Some of my classmates managed to score state-level clerkships during 3L. Two of them are in Alaska. I get snapchats of moose chilling in their driveway every morning.
I am beginning to wonder if this is my only shot. To be fair, a year or two of clerkship experience will probably make me feel much more confident about applying to places especially with my background.
It's not your only shot, don't get down on yourself. If you take everyone's advice and apply far and wide, and do it relentlessly until you find something, you probably will find something. Just keep at it. Some of my friends didn't find jobs until post bar exam or even post bar results. They kept at it. Two of them actually got something in mid-law and BigLaw after bar results. That's very unlikely, but you never know. Keep networking, applying, and hustling.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Craiglist is actually better than people think for getting jobs. I know people who got entry-level (albeit horrible paying) lawyer jobs on Craigslist to get their foot in the door.

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Also, I don’t know how your grades are, but if they are good you should get on nalp and start mass mailing. Literally every firm in Boston and New York. Firms do have their needs change throughout the year and may find that they are looking to hire a 3L for 2018 because a certain group is busier than expected. I just got a Biglaw offer a week and a half ago because I massmailed at the right time. Better, I think, to reach out to hiring attorney than recruiting when you mass mail as the hiring attorney is more aware of these sorts of things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Bubbles1012 wrote:Also, I don’t know how your grades are, but if they are good you should get on nalp and start mass mailing. Literally every firm in Boston and New York. Firms do have their needs change throughout the year and may find that they are looking to hire a 3L for 2018 because a certain group is busier than expected. I just got a Biglaw offer a week and a half ago because I massmailed at the right time. Better, I think, to reach out to hiring attorney than recruiting when you mass mail as the hiring attorney is more aware of these sorts of things.
Ok thank you for the suggestions. And what is nalp? I'm literally clueless sorry

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bubbles1012 wrote:Also, I don’t know how your grades are, but if they are good you should get on nalp and start mass mailing. Literally every firm in Boston and New York. Firms do have their needs change throughout the year and may find that they are looking to hire a 3L for 2018 because a certain group is busier than expected. I just got a Biglaw offer a week and a half ago because I massmailed at the right time. Better, I think, to reach out to hiring attorney than recruiting when you mass mail as the hiring attorney is more aware of these sorts of things.
Ok thank you for the suggestions. And what is nalp? I'm literally clueless sorry
https://www.nalp.org/jdjobseekers

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Nalp is a directory. It will have a list of firms for Boston and New York with contact info for recruiting/hiring attorney. Just start blasting our your resume and transcript. Write a few cover letters you can use and switch and tweak depending on what the firm is known for.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”