do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 pm

how did you let yourself get sucked into this craziness

Anonymous User

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Being a senior associate is the worst. Next worst are junior partner and midlevel associate.

There are two types of people who stay long enough in biglaw to become senior associates:
- Crazy strivers
- Those bogged down by financial obligations, such as a big mortgage and kids, etc.
These are not mutually exclusive.

Don't let yourself become either and you can get out of there before then, as most people manage to do.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't understand the seniors who are independently wealthy. Like....why.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I don't understand the seniors who are independently wealthy. Like....why.
I don't think I knew any independently wealthy senior associates. I knew some independently wealthy partners though, who get business because of their connections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Being a senior associate is the worst. Next worst are junior partner and midlevel associate.

There are two types of people who stay long enough in biglaw to become senior associates:
- Crazy strivers
- Those bogged down by financial obligations, such as a big mortgage and kids, etc.

Don't let yourself become either and you can get out of there before then, as most people manage to do.
I thank God every day that I'm not married and don't have kids

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Being a senior associate is the worst. Next worst are junior partner and midlevel associate.

- Crazy strivers

Senior associate on the way out isn't a bad gig. You can usually begin the coasting period a year and a half out, doing middling work and living off the goodwill you've earned as a midlevel until they finally realize what is up.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 am

To be fair, it seems like senior associates have materially better exit opps as in they enter in house higher

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 am

Tbh I have loved every senior I have worked with and usually am thinking "how the fuck did they manage to do that." Probably been lucky though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am

sublime wrote:Tbh I have loved every senior I have worked with and usually am thinking "how the fuck did they manage to do that." Probably been lucky though.
Oh yeah (this is op) I didn't mean this as an attack on them. I just meant essentially what you said here--don't know how you do it, or if you're going to be able to do it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:Tbh I have loved every senior I have worked with and usually am thinking "how the fuck did they manage to do that." Probably been lucky though.
Oh yeah (this is op) I didn't mean this as an attack on them. I just meant essentially what you said here--don't know how you do it, or if you're going to be able to do it
I think this often as well but at the same time I believe it just occurs naturally. I'm not saying everyone who makes it 8-9 years will be a stellar senior associate, but I think most people who work 8-9 years in any field will amass a decent level of expertise.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I have yet to meet one senior who I am envious of or who I think has a good life for big law standards.

One works all-the-fucking-time, has two kids (four to sevenish), and a stay out home wife. He's in the office all the time. He doesn't seem unhappy. Quite the opposite--he seems happy. But I don't know when he sees his family, seeing as he is always in the office (except for the weekends, though he still works then).

The other has no kids, but she is a screamer and depressingly single and takes her unhappiness out on everyone I know.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm

How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:04 pm

star fox wrote:How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?
I know several biglaw couples who actually relocated when they had kids so that the grandparents could fill in. Idk what ppl without that option do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:20 pm

the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:44 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"
why? do they have an unusual amount of responsibility?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:50 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"
I wondered the same. The Of Counsels I know have it pretty good by big law standards—they make what senior associates make (or more) but without the partner-track/up-and-out pressures that plague senior associates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:18 pm

I suspect it might vary by firm. Just interested in that poster's take. My firm has special counsels and of counsels, which are clearly in different roles (and also senior counsels)

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:33 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I suspect it might vary by firm. Just interested in that poster's take. My firm has special counsels and of counsels, which are clearly in different roles (and also senior counsels)
Of Counsel also seems like a pretty good gig to me. At my firm, however, most of the Of Counsels are unhappy with their role and are vying for partnership.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:39 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
I wondered the same. The Of Counsels I know have it pretty good by big law standards—they make what senior associates make (or more) but without the partner-track/up-and-out pressures that plague senior associates.
Same at my firm. They make $400k+, don't have to worry about business development, etc, and probably don't bill crazy hours - the ones I know are extremely good at delegating. I would honestly prefer that to partner.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:19 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
Same at my firm. They make $400k+, don't have to worry about business development, etc, and probably don't bill crazy hours - the ones I know are extremely good at delegating. I would honestly prefer that to partner.
my firm has of counsels, which are basically semi-retired partners, and special counsels, a few of whom have carved out a niche and have it semi-good, but more of whom are working insane hours and never going to make partner or are gunning to try to claw their way up to partner
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 am

star fox wrote:How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?
No grandparents here. Wife goes to work super early and leaves in time to pick up the kiddo. I drop off the kid, get to work pretty late, and work pretty late. It can work.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:04 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
No grandparents here. Wife goes to work super early and leaves in time to pick up the kiddo. I drop off the kid, get to work pretty late, and work pretty late. It can work.
Do you ever get to see each other?

BernieTrump

Bronze

Post by BernieTrump » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:
Do you ever get to see each other?

Most dual biglaw couples don't see one another. There is a person in my dept who sits near me and fights with his wife loudly on phone every. single. night. about who will go send the nanny home, and how neither of them can do that (at 830pm!) because their work will keep them there all night. These fights are sometimes on speakerphone, and his wife sobs a lot during these bouts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”