Remote Working From Another Country? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
b0dylanguage

New

Remote Working From Another Country?

Post by b0dylanguage » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Has anyone ever heard of someone doing this? E.g., working for Jones Day Chicago from Mexico City? Or for Cooley New York from Berlin? Idea would be to work remotely 90-100% of the time from a different country (as a dual citizen of country X and the USA), but still keep my position at the firm. Understand this would depend heavily on practice group/firm culture/seniority, but just wondering if there's any precedent out there before I line up a meeting with my practice group head. Cheers

TEIAM

Bronze

Re: Remote Working From Another Country?

Post by TEIAM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

I've seen this with senior attorneys (older partners and of counsel) that have proven to be a value add. But, I highly doubt a firm would be okay with this arrangement for an associate.

ETA: with the examples I know of, the attorneys are domestic, not international.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

I mean this would be amazing - make 180k while living in Mexico City -- let us know what happens.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:29 pm

ive seen this for associates across states (i.e. working from home in X state for the NYC office). I've also seen associates work overseas in a firm office for the NYC office (fiancé had to move overseas). both were after many years of working with the firm and proving worth. if you're in the same time zone, I don't see why internationally would make much difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 pm

My firm is doing this with a mid level- senior associate. His/her partner is posted overseas for few years and this person has proved his/her worth so the firm is letting this person work remotely in a foreign county.

The only reason they are doing this is because it's technically temporary, while the partner is on a fixed term overseas. Also, the country is a European one so no problems with reliable communication and the time difference isn't too bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Would you be an independent contractor? If not, I doubt that you can be employed in the United States by a United States law firm while a resident of a different country, but I'm no expert on international L&E issues.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I think this causes a host of tax issues for both you and the firm that they are extremely unlikely to accommodate unless you are working out of a pre-existing office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”