Failed Bar, Retaking- Cold email in the meantime? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beckygirl

New

Failed Bar, Retaking- Cold email in the meantime?

Post by beckygirl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:17 am

Hi,

I failed the July 2017 NY bar by 7 points :roll: and have been starting to study again. I went to a tier 2 law school on the west coast, did terrible 1L but managed to come back but still barely brought my GPA up to a 3.0. I spent summers working for my parent's small company at home in Europe (US citizen though). I participated in clinics, graduated with a certificate in a specialty, and have a published article in a journal I was on. I was convinced that those of us graduating without a job have no chance of finding one pre-bar results so I waited- and now I'm in the crappy position of restudying WHILE having this huge gap on my resume, plus my weak resume/grades.

Linkedin/indeed/glassdoor/symplicity are all incredibly weak on entry-level positions. I need to start cold emailing firms. My school advised that I email asking for "law clerk" positions. Ideally (lol), I don't want to relocate back to the US until I take the test again as I'm not sure how to study and move across the world AND I have no money.

1. Does it make sense to cold email firms at all, and if so- do I say "I'm taking the Feb bar, here are my credentials, I'm interested in an associate position with you for these reasons and would make a wonderful addition for x, y, and z reasons, thank you"? Is that too forward/pointless?

2. Should I be attaching a transcript to my cold emails or is there any way I can avoid that?

3. Am I at a disadvantage being so far away? I can't email asking if we can have coffee, etc- and I've done numerous phone calls over the summer and it clearly doesn't have the same effect as sitting down with someone.

4. Should I just wait for results- which if I even pass, won't be until the end of April 2018?

Thanks if anyone can help- I'm so lost- my school isn't being particularly helpful from the west coast- and I just don't know where to start.

Return to “Legal Employment”