come play with us at [url=top-law-schools.com]TLS[/url][img]http://mylsn.info/replaced_post.png[/img] Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anyriotgirl

Platinum

what % pay cut are you willing to take for an office with real walls?

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:28 am

or do you want to work in ~the law office of the future~
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: what % pay cut are you willing to take for an office with real walls?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 am

OP from the other % pay cut thread here. This is hilarious. The in-house gig I was considering has no walls and that was the second reason I turned it down. You could tell by the interviewers' faces that they have nothing to good to say about it. All my other in-house friends also agree that it sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:37 am

White and Case?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:White and Case?
Weil is doing this (slowly renovating), I think STB is as well. A ton of law firms (at least in NYC) are.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 am

0%.

i have an office with walls that still does not drown out partners "counseling" clients via the telephone even with the door closed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:0%.

i have an office with walls that still does not drown out partners "counseling" clients via the telephone even with the door closed.
I think you're undervaluing the ability to hide
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Weil is doing this (slowly renovating), I think STB is as well. A ton of law firms (at least in NYC) are.
I actually like Weil's frosted glass approach, you get light but still have privacy. STB/W&C full transparent is a nightmare.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:21 am

anyriotgirl wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:0%.

I think you're undervaluing the ability to hide
yikes didn't think about this. will say i have glass around the door (which makes it able to see in the office), but yeah a nonfrosted glass enclosure is literally like a modern art exhibit.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 am

Nagster5 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I actually like Weil's frosted glass approach, you get light but still have privacy. STB/W&C full transparent is a nightmare.
my first in-house job was frosted glass and it was a perfect balance. bonus for the desks being tall and wrap around, hiding your presence even more

now I live in a full transparent nightmare. we're basically the most boring zoo animals
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Waupli

New

Post by Waupli » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:36 am

I used to work in office construction/furniture in NYC and this is the trend across the board. Not just law firms. I know of law firms that installed frosted glass after complaints, but this might be the best you can expect from most remodeled offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 am

LW has frosted glass and wood doors. It looks good and it's enough privacy that you can panic at your desk if necessary without anyone realizing

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:02 am

Just curious, what do you guys do in your office that you need to hide?

I shared my office with another summer associate this past summer who felt the need to open the door all day and I did not find it troublesome.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 am

strawberrieee wrote:Just curious, what do you guys do in your office that you need to hide?

I shared my office with another summer associate this past summer who felt the need to open the door all day and I did not find it troublesome.
Nap. Dick around without people creeping. Keep partners on their toes as to whether I'm in the office or not. Change clothes. Eat food without people seeing me stuff my pie hole. Rock out to music. Pick my nose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SolemnMan

New

Post by SolemnMan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 am

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
strawberrieee wrote:Just curious, what do you guys do in your office that you need to hide?

Nap. Dick around without people creeping. Keep partners on their toes as to whether I'm in the office or not. Change clothes. Eat food without people seeing me stuff my pie hole. Rock out to music. Pick my nose.
Egregious omission of masturbation.

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Post by TooMuchTuna » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 am

I'm in-house and we just moved to a new building that has offices with glass walls. People like to walk by and tap on the glass, like I'm some sort of sad fish in a gigantic aquarium.

The upside is that I bought nerf guns for our paralegals, so when they need me, they just shoot a suction cup dart at the glass.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:26 am

JenDarby wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
my first in-house job was frosted glass and it was a perfect balance. bonus for the desks being tall and wrap around, hiding your presence even more

now I live in a full transparent nightmare. we're basically the most boring zoo animals
I just had the thought of taking my daughter to a law firm to look at the attorneys in the glass enclosures. Wandering through watching the tax attorneys in their natural environment, swinging over to look at the litigation team, then stopping or some cotten candy before heading down to watch the real estate lawyers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:LW has frosted glass and wood doors. It looks good and it's enough privacy that you can panic at your desk if necessary without anyone realizing
Yeah they tried to sell my floor on going without frosted glass because it would save the firm a quarter million. They put it to a vote and - surprise! - overwhelming majority of associates said fuck that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 am

my firm has all clear glass. its literally the worst.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 am

Wait til you start full time and need somewhere to gently weep
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am

This is why we should have never done the jerking it at work thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 am

SolemnMan wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

Egregious omission of masturbation.
Let's not forget my beer farts

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 am

haus wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just had the thought of taking my daughter to a law firm to look at the attorneys in the glass enclosures. Wandering through watching the tax attorneys in their natural environment, swinging over to look at the litigation team, then stopping or some cotten candy before heading down to watch the real estate lawyers.
"Oh look! That one's getting ready to hang himself!"
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am

My firm is way behind the times. The only glass in my office is on the outside wall, and when they remodeled the offices 10 years ago, one of the partners made sure that they used solid-core wood doors and doubled-up sheetrock for soundproofing. It's magical.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am

I've had a job candidate tell me an office with real walls is worth about $10k a year. Sounds about right to me. Incidentally, that's considerably more than 200sq ft of Class A office space costs per year in my city. Yet, for reasons I can't quite comprehend, plenty of employers of highly compensated professionals seem to think going open office is a good idea :roll:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”