Lateral Application Materials Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Application Materials

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm looking to lateral after my first year at the firm. I'm not looking to debate that timing: circumstances at the firm are such that I at least want to explore my options. I've been in M&A, in NY, and plan to submit my application materials to friends at other firms in the first instance.

What application materials will firms typically want to see? Specifically...
  • How to reformat a law school resume? Work experience up front, or education first? Do you include an interests section?
  • I've done exclusively M&A until now. Is it worth providing a deal list? Or just leave my experience in 2-3 short sentences on my resume, and tell them more fully at any interviews I get?
  • Cover letter for all firms? I figure yes, since I need to explain why I'm looking for a new job.
  • Anything to provide besides a resume, cover letter and law school transcript?
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate you all.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Application Materials

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Any help is appreciated. Hopefully someone can speak to this questions. Thanks again.

jkpolk

Silver

Re: Lateral Application Materials

Post by jkpolk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't think there's one way to skin this horse but here's what I did (lateraled as a junior).
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to lateral after my first year at the firm. I'm not looking to debate that timing: circumstances at the firm are such that I at least want to explore my options. I've been in M&A, in NY, and plan to submit my application materials to friends at other firms in the first instance.

What application materials will firms typically want to see? Specifically...
  • How to reformat a law school resume? Work experience up front, or education first? Do you include an interests section?Work experience up front. Id describe the work youve done, the deals youve worked on. basically you're trying to let people know if you've had experience beyond your class year, you havent shit the bed on blockbusters (so you're at your class year), etc. I think that should be about half a page. basically you should drop all your undergrad activities unless you have something that's actually legit (D1 athlete, pbk, that sort of thing) and cut your non-legal work experience (again, unless you were an astronaut, pro athlete, Olympian, etc.). Interests section is no big deal either way, dont feel forced to add if your hobbies are watching netflix and smoking weed.
  • I've done exclusively M&A until now. Is it worth providing a deal list? Or just leave my experience in 2-3 short sentences on my resume, and tell them more fully at any interviews I get?
    you dont need a deal sheet but do describe some exemplary matters and your role. maybe a paragraph up front about all the shit youve done (have you drafted ancillaries? primaries? researched securities law? etc.) and then a few bullets on exemplary deals.
  • Cover letter for all firms? I figure yes, since I need to explain why I'm looking for a new job.
    can be generic unless you have a sincere reason to differentiate a firm.
  • Anything to provide besides a resume, cover letter and law school transcript?
That's it.
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate you all.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”