Jobs that do not require Bar Passage Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jobs that do not require Bar Passage

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 pm

This is an extremely sad and depressing post to write, but here goes. I am a 2016 graduate from HYS (top 10%), and current federal clerk for a feeder judge. Unfortunately, as of last month, I did not get a good determination of moral character, and so will not be able to practice law. I won't bore you with the details, but nothing you'd find on a background check).

So, TLS, what sort of decent jobs might be out there for a JD w/o bar passage? I've heard compliance at the big 4, but otherwise, I don't know where to start. Any and all help would be appreciative. Please don't quote.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Jobs that do not require Bar Passage

Post by runinthefront » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is an extremely sad and depressing post to write, but here goes. I am a 2016 graduate from HYS (top 10%), and current federal clerk for a feeder judge. Unfortunately, as of last month, I did not get a good determination of moral character, and so will not be able to practice law. I won't bore you with the details, but nothing you'd find on a background check).

So, TLS, what sort of decent jobs might be out there for a JD w/o bar passage? I've heard compliance at the big 4, but otherwise, I don't know where to start. Any and all help would be appreciative. Please don't quote.
You are a top 10% HYS graduate clerking for a feeder judge. If I were you, I suggest applying to academic fellowships to bide time until you can get a re-evaluation by your state's bar/put some time between you and whatever caused the negative evaluation/think about maybe applying to other states' bars.

You may also be qualified to teach legal research and writing at many lower-ranked law schools. If you're willing to not make much $, I'd look into that, too. I wouldn't give up on getting barred. This could end up being a short-term (relative to the average lifespan) setback. Try looking into teaching fellowship and teaching roles (especially legal writing & research, which should be the easiest to nab and almost certainly your only option for teaching) at law schools around the country.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:25 pm

OP here. That is great advice, but my wife cannot leave the state, and I got the distinct impression they didn't care if I applied again in 2 years or 20. So, while I won't give up, I think it's time to think about something else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Have you spoken to a good C&F atty?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you spoken to a good C&F atty?
Yes, I had one during this process. His advice is to try again in two years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:05 pm

If murderers pass C&F, how is it that you failed? Can you provide us more details as a cautionary tale for others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If murderers pass C&F, how is it that you failed? Can you provide us more details as a cautionary tale for others?
Candor (I disagree, of course).

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:26 am

You can work in Claims at one of the insurance companies (AIG, State Farm, Travellers, Markel). They seek people with JD degrees.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 am

Given your stats, I'd suggest consulting. Did you parse the wording of a C&F question a little too closely?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 am

Can you just keep clerking for the next 2 years and then try for the bar? What are your SCOTUS chances?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Can you just keep clerking for the next 2 years and then try for the bar? What are your SCOTUS chances?
As an update, I'm going to do this route (sans SCOTUS, which isn't happening with my denial). Thanks to everyone that gave advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:58 am

Unlikely that you'll reply, but do you have updates? I may be in the same boat. I'm devastated.

AAPLTSLADIS

New

Post by AAPLTSLADIS » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:32 am

"Please don't quote." First response quotes. Smh.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. People with issues need to be very smart about which states they apply to for C&F. Advice for others: do your homework and figure out which states are easier than others. Some states, like Florida, from what I gather, are Nazis on this stuff. I hate the C&F overlords.

My advice would be to find the best C&F lawyer in your state. Doesn't sound like you hired the best money could buy. If you took the UBE, try getting barred in an easier state, even if you'll never practice there. Show that you're a good boy and keep your nose clean being barred. Additionally, it would allow you to work for Big Gov (DOJ, SEC, etc.) since all they require is that you be barred in 1 state (doesn't matter which).

My other advice would be to try clerking again. Leave out the "bar admissions" section from your resume.

If I were you, I would not give up on SCOTUS clerkship. Unless there's like a court decision with your name out there, you should keep trying. That's $450k you can use to get the best lawyer money can buy.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am

The original poster was referencing SCOTUS in 2017, so that ship has probably sailed by now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”