Alumni reaching out email response rate and expectations Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Alumni reaching out email response rate and expectations

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Background: 2017 graduate of a T25 unhappy with current job/city and looking to relocate. I'm new to the reaching out email method of building connections to find work, so I'm hoping to get some input.

1) I recently began emailing alumni at firms of interest (mostly partners) to see if I could establish some helpful connections in my desired market and practice areas. So far, the response rate has been about one in six, with most offering basically a Q&A over email and others speaking on the phone with me. Is this a healthy response rate, or do you think improved emails would yield better results?

2) As an exception, one alumni partner responded by inviting me out to lunch in a few weeks. I accepted the offer and, surprisingly, he sent an invite via Outlook reserving a 1.5 hour block of time. He then asked if I could send my resume over to him. Should I be treating this meeting as an informal interview?

Anonymous User

Re: Alumni reaching out email response rate and expectations

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Curious about this, as somebody in a not-great job situation at the moment. How do you frame your emails?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious about this, as somebody in a not-great job situation at the moment. How do you frame your emails?
OP here. Could I PM you my format somehow?

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Fire away, and thank you!

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2) As an exception, one alumni partner responded by inviting me out to lunch in a few weeks. I accepted the offer and, surprisingly, he sent an invite via Outlook reserving a 1.5 hour block of time. He then asked if I could send my resume over to him. Should I be treating this meeting as an informal interview?
Everything is a potential interview. I doubt he wants to look at your resume because he's short on reading material!

MKC

Diamond

Removed

Post by MKC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 pm

So long and thanks for all the fish. If you decide you've had enough of the post-apocalyptic wasteland, feel free to join me over at TLS - with 100% fewer Lawcrossing articles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”