How soon after becoming an attorney do you usually start taking law school activities off the resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How soon after becoming an attorney do you usually start taking law school activities off the resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 pm

So for example, how long after I start my associate position can I start trimming stuff from the law school part of my resume?

I'm going to keep award-things like cum laude and coif etc, but things like a competition I was a finalist in or non-law review journal?

Are some of these useful to keep on there? Looking for some guidance, would like to free up room on my resume asap.

Anonymous User

Re: How soon after becoming an attorney do you usually start taking law school activities off the resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 pm

2nd year associate. have my gpa, honors, classes I got the highest grade in and law review position on my resume. None of the other junk.

Platinum

Re: How soon after becoming an attorney do you usually start taking law school activities off the resume?

Post by 2014 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 pm

I think you are fine to trim extracurriculars generally unless you were president of some org that would be relevant to what ever job you are applying for. I'd keep 1L and 2L summer jobs on there as well as honors and journal. Competition finalist probably goes unless again, it's directly related (i.e. if you are applying to be an ADA/AUSA moot court finalist seems useful while firms wouldn't care).

This also all depends on how much you are relying or not relying on pre LS experience. If you are straight through and need the volume to fill up a page that's different than if you are applying to an in-house role and need to show your post-grad finance certificate/CPA/experience working as a consultant pre LS/etc.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:classes I got the highest grade in
... really?

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:17 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
... really?
Yeah I thought this was only a thing for summer position applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
... really?
Yeah that seems absurd to me. Even gpa seems TTTish if you’re gonna have to submit transcripts anyway. Maybe if you went to a garbage school and have to show off how many classes you booked to make up for it?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
... really?

Seems weird even for summer position applications.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2nd year associate. have my gpa, honors, classes I got the highest grade in and law review position on my resume. None of the other junk.
Haven't put my GPA on the resume since undergrad, still keep it off. All mine has w/ regard to my schools is where I went to UG, Bus, and Law school; the varsity sport I played in UG, and any sport/academic/community honors received in school (not highest grade or shit like that, no one cares). otherwise my work experience is much more valuable.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 pm

I think CALI/book awards are great for summer associate resumes - they make the resume stand out a bit. I'd take it off after law school.

If you summered at the same firm you work at, do people have a line for the summer associate position? Seems unnecessary for a lateral resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote: If you summered at the same firm you work at, do people have a line for the summer associate position? Seems unnecessary for a lateral resume.
I should think not.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:52 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote: If you summered at the same firm you work at, do people have a line for the summer associate position? Seems unnecessary for a lateral resume.
I should think not.
I’ve been told no, unless you switched firms or offices or something.

v5junior

Bronze

Post by v5junior » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Many in-house and law firm job postings include journal/honors/GPA in the list of qualifications they are looking at, even for people 5-10 years out of law school. I would not take any of that off. Would not list that you were the President of the Law and [X] Society though.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
toast and bananas wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
... really?

Seems weird even for summer position applications.
It's not.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 pm

If you list that you graduated magna and your GPA, it seems the height of tedium to also list the classes that you booked. Find something grown up to put on.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

cron1834 wrote:If you list that you graduated magna and your GPA, it seems the height of tedium to also list the classes that you booked. Find something grown up to put on.
Sure, that's true. But it's not weird to list classes you booked on your resume prior to graduating law school. I see it all the time, and I'm looking at resumes all the time. That was the only comment I was responding to (if you were responding to me).
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 pm

I have definitely seen bios on firm websites listing Cali/book awards. (Not biglaw, though i probably don’t even need to say that.)

I think it looks silly, personally, but clearly not everyone sgreess

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I have definitely seen bios on firm websites listing Cali/book awards. (Not biglaw, though i probably don’t even need to say that.)

I think it looks silly, personally, but clearly not everyone sgreess
I've seen this too, even on biglaw bios, and agree that it looks silly (especially when they are labeled "CALI Awards" with no further explanation as to what it means or the class is totally unrelated to the practicioner's current practice area).

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 pm

"Best Torts exam, 2013"

*does M&A

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”