Pushed out? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pushed out?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 am

Really slow, staffed on some stuff but no new big transactions and at least some collagues are being worked to death. I won't make hours (was going to had I billed consistently throughout the year but the past couple months have been slow and it's even slower now, less than 40 hours so far this month) but based on what I've heard there's no hard minimum and doesn't matter as a first year. I'm wondering if this is just a sign that I should update my resume.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Pushed out?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really slow, staffed on some stuff but no new big transactions and at least some collagues are being worked to death. I won't make hours (was going to had I billed consistently throughout the year but the past couple months have been slow and it's even slower now, less than 40 hours so far this month) but based on what I've heard there's no hard minimum and doesn't matter as a first year. I'm wondering if this is just a sign that I should update my resume.
I know this is obvious, but have you asked the appropriate people for work? How about your practice group leader? Has there been any indication from them that your work is not up to snuff?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really slow, staffed on some stuff but no new big transactions and at least some collagues are being worked to death. I won't make hours (was going to had I billed consistently throughout the year but the past couple months have been slow and it's even slower now, less than 40 hours so far this month) but based on what I've heard there's no hard minimum and doesn't matter as a first year. I'm wondering if this is just a sign that I should update my resume.
I know this is obvious, but have you asked the appropriate people for work? How about your practice group leader? Has there been any indication from them that your work is not up to snuff?
I haven't asked for work because thats not really our system although it can be done. A couple partners do ask for me but I'm sure they are not making these decisions. My mid-year review was alright but not great.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Two pieces of advice: (1) politely let the appropriate people know that you are looking for work; (2) update your resume and begin applying for jobs in the time that you're not billing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Sounds like what happened to me. It became apparent after about six months that I was just never going to get as much work/experience as I wanted (or needed). I was hired in September 2016. In about February I asked for more when when my colleagues in the department were getting staffed left and right on stuff while I was twiddling my thumbs. Kept this up for another three months. No increase in work. My evaluation was good (not great) in June. In July I pretty much gave up on staying in my department (I never really wanted to go there but it was okay) and tried to move to another department in the firm. Was told it couldn't be done. Started looking for jobs at this point and just landed something in the same market.

Don't settle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
I haven't asked for work because thats not really our system although it can be done. A couple partners do ask for me but I'm sure they are not making these decisions. My mid-year review was alright but not great.
I'd ask for work. If you talk to someone on the phone, write them an e-mail after so its documented. I wouldn't want to just sit back and wait for the talk without being proactive.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:23 pm

It's impossible for us internet outsiders to tell exactly what your situation is and what is causing the lack of work, but I just thought I would add that attorneys can sometimes be terrible managers. The light workload could simply be because they are not aware of how slow you are and haven't taken the time to pay attention. I would at least get very vocal about your need for more work before you conclude for sure you are being pushed out and begin trying to jump ship (although it never hurts to have an updated resume just in case).

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm

For corporate work this time of year is hit or miss, it probably isn't you. Either you are on deals trying to finish before the holidays/new years or people have accepted that it's not going to happen and are holding off or moving slowly. Which you end up on is more luck of the draw than anything, especially for a rising 2nd year. Attrition goes down this time of year because of bonuses and new hires start so there's also more people to spread relatively less work to. If you are still slow by like March or if you find out that all of your classmates who are already underwater are getting asked to take on new assignments while you are being ignored those are worse signs (but still not dispositive).

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:16 pm

I wouldn't worry about it, you're just going through common first year paranoia about hours. You should definitely update your resume though to incorporate your work experience from your first year, you never know what opportunities may pop up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm

OP here. Just wanted to come back with an update.... I'm busy now on paste to bill over 200 this month.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Just wanted to come back with an update.... I'm busy now on paste to bill over 200 this month.
Biglaw cycle in a nutshell.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:31 pm

THREEEE WEEKS LATER . . . [insert spongebob accent]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”