Non-SLIP DOJ Summer as a 2L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-SLIP DOJ Summer as a 2L

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am

Accepted an unpaid position at a DOJ component next summer that did not do any official SLIP positions this year. Really interested in the component and its work so I'm excited about it. However, I am curious if anyone has any experience doing this and if it is viewed any differently than SLIP positions for employment purposes down the road

Anonymous User

Re: Non-SLIP DOJ Summer as a 2L

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am

I spoke with a couple DOJ attorneys about this so take it for what it's worth:

If it's in a criminal division/component it's still pretty prestigious, as you were likely vetted heavily and asked tough questions to see where your priorities and motivations lie.

Otherwise, SLIP is seen as the competitive internship, since it's so difficult to get into (purely from a numbers standpoint), and because the candidates have already been vetted as someone a DOJ component can eventually see working as an entry-level attorney.

If your component was not listed on SLIP, it probably helps that you're interning there and making the relevant connections that will help your Honors Program application.

Those answers aren't clear-cut, but I hope they help.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”