Lateraling firms after first year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling firms after first year

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:07 am

Does anyone have experience lateraling from one V100 firm to another just after their first year? If so, was it through a recruiter or networking, or both?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Lateraling firms after first year

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 am

bump (not OP)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 am

bump (not OP)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:51 am

Shortly after my first year I successfully lateralled to an existing opening at a V30. Took two interview trips and then waited a month as they cleared conflicts, at that point, I turned in my two-week notice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:24 am

I lateraled midway through my second year and got offers both through a recruiter and networking. Happy to answer any questions about the process, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am

curious about the lateral timeline & about moving states - do you take the bar after you lateral or before?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm

If your goal is to lateral markets after a year of practice (e.g. September '18, NY to LA), and your firm has an office there, is the credited response to pursue an offer in that city, and then ask your firm if a transfer would be possible with another offer in hand -- or simply ask your firm on the front end?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:curious about the lateral timeline & about moving states - do you take the bar after you lateral or before?
I took my new state’s bar after lateraling. Because of the bar exam timing, it was a good six months before I took the bar. My firm paid Barbri and gave me 4 weeks to study from home (my firm workload was minimal....the drawback is making up billables for the bonus...I did but it was exhausting). The firm also pays the fees to keep my original state's license in good standing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If your goal is to lateral markets after a year of practice (e.g. September '18, NY to LA), and your firm has an office there, is the credited response to pursue an offer in that city, and then ask your firm if a transfer would be possible with another offer in hand -- or simply ask your firm on the front end?
Also interested in this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If your goal is to lateral markets after a year of practice (e.g. September '18, NY to LA), and your firm has an office there, is the credited response to pursue an offer in that city, and then ask your firm if a transfer would be possible with another offer in hand -- or simply ask your firm on the front end?
I guess it depends on how big the other office is, but I think in a vast majority of scenarios it would make sense to ask for the transfer. At least at my firm, we are constantly working with people in other offices, so I don't see how it really affects the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 pm

For those who have successfully done this: after 9-10 months had passed, who did you speak to first, a partner or someone in HR/recruiting? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Shortly after my first year I successfully lateralled to an existing opening at a V30. Took two interview trips and then waited a month as they cleared conflicts, at that point, I turned in my two-week notice.
it takes a month to clear conflicts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 am

Antidotal. For me, yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 am

OP here: bumping because I feel like this thread got a little off track. Anyone care to share their experiences with lateraling after first year, either by using a recruiter or networking?

Thank you

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Shortly after my first year I successfully lateralled to an existing opening at a V30. Took two interview trips and then waited a month as they cleared conflicts, at that point, I turned in my two-week notice.

it takes a month to clear conflicts?
Also took me a month. If you lateraled after a few years, you have a ton of names they will need to clear (you have to report every company you’ve repped). And conflicts departments always put checking conflicts for lateral attorneys after checking conflicts for incoming clients. Then someone actually has to review it

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: bumping because I feel like this thread got a little off track. Anyone care to share their experiences with lateraling after first year, either by using a recruiter or networking?

Thank you
I tried lateraling after my first year using both and it didn’t work. Firms generally want you to have more experience so they don’t have to fully fully pay to train you. I started getting a lot more traction toward the end of my second year.

M&A associate who focused only on LA/SF/Sv

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: bumping because I feel like this thread got a little off track. Anyone care to share their experiences with lateraling after first year, either by using a recruiter or networking?

Thank you
I used a recruiter after getting fired after about a year in nyc biglaw and didn't get much of anything through them. Ended up hustling pretty hard in my own to find a good landing, but finally did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you
I used a recruiter after getting fired after about a year in nyc biglaw and didn't get much of anything through them. Ended up hustling pretty hard in my own to find a good landing, but finally did.
Did you get a heads up or know you were going to get laid off? How long did they give you / keep you on the website?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you
Did you get a heads up or know you were going to get laid off? How long did they give you / keep you on the website?
Anon here. 4.5 months paid followed by an unlimited "personal leave" where I stay on the website but stop getting paid. I left before my paid time ran out.

I felt like I got screwed on getting fired so early, but was treated pretty well afterwards.

This is at a firm that supposedly never fires juniors, but I knew of several other first years who were given similar talks. Everyone just keeps it quiet and then disappears.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you
Anon here. 4.5 months paid followed by an unlimited "personal leave" where I stay on the website but stop getting paid. I left before my paid time ran out.

I felt like I got screwed on getting fired so early, but was treated pretty well afterwards.

This is at a firm that supposedly never fires juniors, but I knew of several other first years who were given similar talks. Everyone just keeps it quiet and then disappears.
That's actually pretty good -- seems the firm really went out of its way to soften the blow. I'm glad you ended up on your feet. I assume business reasons if several juniors got the talk? Were your slow in terms of your hours?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you

Well. 4.5 is a lot of vacation. I mean, that is like $35,000. Enjoy your time off. You might be able to get unemployed now depending on your state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you

That's actually pretty good -- seems the firm really went out of its way to soften the blow. I'm glad you ended up on your feet. I assume business reasons if several juniors got the talk? Were your slow in terms of your hours?
I was told that they hadn't seen enough progress. No specific screw ups or anything. Pretty obvious this wouldn't have happened if the group was busier, but it's fine. Fact of the matter is you don't have the job security you thought you did.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”