DOJ SLIP - summer 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how likely reneging a SLIP offer will negatively affect my chances for the Honors Program next year?
You should call your contact person and ask. It may depend on a component-by-component basis. I know for OCIJ, the contact person seemed to indicate SLIP candidates reneging offers happens (how often - I'm not sure; how they deal with it - I'm not sure either...But it does happen.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:07 pm

From Deana on Avue:

Tax Div met HP hiring goals
Greetings, all:

I just finished updating status for the Tax Division's Honors Program candidates. The Tax Division has met its hiring goals for both the Criminal Section and the Civil Section and will not issue any more offers.

Tax Division SLIP hiring is still in progress - I'll update that once they let me know the process is complete.

Best of luck, all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Does anyone know what happens after you accept an offer? Is there a timeline for background checks/drug tests or any other administrative issues?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Just got my offer for OCIJ. I’ve never accepted an offer so quickly. Elated right now.

Not certain if references were checked but I received the email at 9:30 this morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what happens after you accept an offer? Is there a timeline for background checks/drug tests or any other administrative issues?
Anyone who was a former SLIP, we’d appreciate your input. Have you heard anything about the background checks/drug tests yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Does anyone know what happens after you accept an offer? Is there a timeline for background checks/drug tests or any other administrative issues?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what happens after you accept an offer? Is there a timeline for background checks/drug tests or any other administrative issues?
Hey (since I can see who posts anon). if you’re asking about SLIP, can you please keep those questions in the SLIP thread? Processes for the two things aren’t always the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Hey (since I can see who posts anon). if you’re asking about SLIP, can you please keep those questions in the SLIP thread? Processes for the two things aren’t always the same.
...why would you assume OP is asking about SLIP? Either way, still a valid question.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
...why would you assume OP is asking about SLIP? Either way, still a valid question.
OP, I’m assuming that you were talking about SLIP because you posted in the SLIP thread about accepting a SLIP offer. It’s not a valid question here because the procedures for an internship this summer aren’t going to be the same as the procedures for a permanent job that starts next fall, so no point in confusing yourself comparing the two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
OP, I’m assuming that you were talking about SLIP because you posted in the SLIP thread about accepting a SLIP offer. It’s not a valid question here because the procedures for an internship this summer aren’t going to be the same as the procedures for a permanent job that starts next fall, so no point in confusing yourself comparing the two.
To answer your question, though, I did SLIP last summer. The process moved quickly. I received an email mid-December about submitting my employment forms. You get drug tested within 45 days of your start date, or at least that's how it was last summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
To answer your question, though, I did SLIP last summer. The process moved quickly. I received an email mid-December about submitting my employment forms. You get drug tested within 45 days of your start date, or at least that's how it was last summer.
Thanks for the info! May I ask what component you were a SLIP for? Was the drug test a hair/urine or form you had to fill out verifying if you took any illegal drugs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Thanks for the info! May I ask what component you were a SLIP for? Was the drug test a hair/urine or form you had to fill out verifying if you took any illegal drugs?
Civil. Urine and a form you had to fill out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
For a second I thought this was me, but then I realized someone took my exact question and posted it in the honors thread. It really be your own people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Status went from "finalist" to "offer accepted." Considering the news Deana just put out about HP hiring done for Civ, there's probably going to be some more focus now on finalizing SLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm

So I got a phone call like a month back for a SLIP summer program. They told me I was the top/one of the top (i.e. top two candidates) but because of internal policies they couldn't hire me under SLIP until they had given offers to all veterans over me... I mean I understand that if you served in a combat zone or a hardship post you should get this preference, but not some chair pusher operating a drone out in Nevada. Little frustrating given I would have been hired on the spot. But for all you out there still waiting, that is what is going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I got a phone call like a month back for a SLIP summer program. They told me I was the top/one of the top (i.e. top two candidates) but because of internal policies they couldn't hire me under SLIP until they had given offers to all veterans over me... I mean I understand that if you served in a combat zone or a hardship post you should get this preference, but not some chair pusher operating a drone out in Nevada. Little frustrating given I would have been hired on the spot. But for all you out there still waiting, that is what is going on.
You don't get to decide what military service is valuable. The rate of PTSD for "chair pusher operating a drone out in Nevada" is exremely high.

https://www.npr.org/2017/04/24/52541342 ... ma-is-real

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/us/dr ... at-do.html

https://www.stripes.com/mccaskill-drone ... d-1.354681

They are a lot like snipers making life or death decisiosn at a long distance. It is very psychologically taxing. As a prospective governmetn employee you should recognise this.

ETA I am not in the military, I am just not discounting the service of others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Those stats do nothing. If anything, police and firefighters should get the same preferential treatment.. they face much more out there these days than a HR employee at the Pentagon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:19 pm

How did you get from drone pilot in Nevada to HR at the Pentagon (and are the latter actually vets?)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:55 pm

...in other news I got the email to initiate the security process today. I’m including this to put a timeline for the 2019 peeps that look at this thread and also maybe to provide a nice segue for this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:...in other news I got the email to initiate the security process today. I’m including this to put a timeline for the 2019 peeps that look at this thread and also maybe to provide a nice segue for this thread.
Good to know. When was your offer accepted? Does the security process just start with fingerprints/authorization for credit checks/paperwork? Does it include the drug test?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:...in other news I got the email to initiate the security process today. I’m including this to put a timeline for the 2019 peeps that look at this thread and also maybe to provide a nice segue for this thread.
Good to know. When was your offer accepted? Does the security process just start with fingerprints/authorization for credit checks/paperwork? Does it include the drug test?
Accepted in early November. It looks like it's the entire kitchen sink here. You have to enter everything into an electronic database (declarations, resume, transcripts, credit release, proof of citizenship, FNRA, and there's other things such as a loyalty statement if you're a dual citizen). This includes employment and housing histories. Drug test and fingerprint on-site if you're in DC or at a local law enforcement agency otherwise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Accepted in early November. It looks like it's the entire kitchen sink here. You have to enter everything into an electronic database (declarations, resume, transcripts, credit release, proof of citizenship, FNRA, and there's other things such as a loyalty statement if you're a dual citizen). This includes employment and housing histories. Drug test and fingerprint on-site if you're in DC or at a local law enforcement agency otherwise.
Saw the post about last years SLIP doing the drug test 45 days before Date of Entry - is it the same this round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Saw the post about last years SLIP doing the drug test 45 days before Date of Entry - is it the same this round?
Looks like it has to be within thirty days of receiving the background check e-mail (a.k.a I have thirty days to pee into a cup), so no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Is anyone else still awaiting security clearance documents?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else still awaiting security clearance documents?
Do you mean waiting for the documents themselves? I sent all mine in a couple weeks ago, waiting to hear back but I assume it'd take awhile. Shutdown and all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”