europe jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

europe jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:55 pm

How does one find lawyer jobs in Europe for US attorneys? (Not corporate/finance).
Are there job boards that people look at?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Re: europe jobs

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:20 pm

This question has already been beaten to death. Outside of corporate work (mainly in London, long-term positions available), antitrust work (London, Brussels, usually shorter term assignments within biglaw), and maybe international arbitration (London, sometimes Paris, though good luck with that), those jobs don't exist. Europe uses civil law, which you're not trained for. The UK requires you to do a conversion course and to get your traineeship done (good luck getting a sponsorship) before practicing english law.

You might find the occasional company/firm looking for a US attorney to practice US-specific law, though I really can't see why - maybe immigration work? But generally speaking, there just isn't work for US-trained attorneys in Europe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:46 pm

US tax law (including transfer pricing) + relevant language skills (German) => Go to Switzerland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:US tax law (including transfer pricing) + relevant language skills (German) => Go to Switzerland.
US tax law without relevant language skills can go to London/Dublin too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Bumping this because I am in a tricky situation - I need to be in continental europe for the next year or so for personal/family reasons. Thus, it doesn't have to be a permanent position. Even a fellowship or temporary position would do. I honestly would settle with just taking an internship but I don't have the finances to do an unpaid internship so it needs to be paid.

I really don't know where to apply. I know people mention transactional biglaw/tax but are there any job search websites such as monster/indeed or whatever that are popular over there? I'm sure there must be some websites for legal jobs.

I am a recent grad from a lower t14 with median grades and have been working as an attorney in a federal agency for the past year. My language skill is French (but not technical stuff, just conversational)

In short, I am expanding the scope of this thread to apply not only to permanent positions, but temporary positions as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this because I am in a tricky situation - I need to be in continental europe for the next year or so for personal/family reasons. Thus, it doesn't have to be a permanent position. Even a fellowship or temporary position would do. I honestly would settle with just taking an internship but I don't have the finances to do an unpaid internship so it needs to be paid.

I really don't know where to apply. I know people mention transactional biglaw/tax but are there any job search websites such as monster/indeed or whatever that are popular over there? I'm sure there must be some websites for legal jobs.

I am a recent grad from a lower t14 with median grades and have been working as an attorney in a federal agency for the past year. My language skill is French (but not technical stuff, just conversational)

In short, I am expanding the scope of this thread to apply not only to permanent positions, but temporary positions as well
Have you thought about looking at any of the international tribunals or UN organizations in the hague?

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:00 am

There's also arbitration work and T&E work in Geneva.

You might also be able to get a job in-house with a bank doing work with U.S. sanctions and compliance.

I had a recruiter contact me once about a job posting in Europe (I had the city listed on my resume for a semester abroad), so recruiters sometimes have access to these job postings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 pm

You may want to check a UK site called rollonfriday

Otherwise, I would look at the Magic Circle firms and firms known for being really international (Baker & McK, etc.) and see if they have an office in an area you are in. Check LinkedIn/contact your school alumni office to see whether any ugrad or law alumni live where you are going. You will need to network your way into a job--this isn't the kind of thing where there are jobboards. You might also consider working for a multinational too, so that's where alumni help will be critical. GL!

TheNavigator

New

Post by TheNavigator » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:US tax law (including transfer pricing) + relevant language skills (German) => Go to Switzerland.
US tax law without relevant language skills can go to London/Dublin too
Interesting. If either of you know, what kinds of organizations hire US tax lawyers, and how is the salary relative to that in the US?

TheNavigator

New

Post by TheNavigator » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:20 pm
This question has already been beaten to death. Outside of corporate work (mainly in London, long-term positions available), antitrust work (London, Brussels, usually shorter term assignments within biglaw), and maybe international arbitration (London, sometimes Paris, though good luck with that), those jobs don't exist. Europe uses civil law, which you're not trained for. The UK requires you to do a conversion course and to get your traineeship done (good luck getting a sponsorship) before practicing english law.

You might find the occasional company/firm looking for a US attorney to practice US-specific law, though I really can't see why - maybe immigration work? But generally speaking, there just isn't work for US-trained attorneys in Europe.
Any idea if there is work for US JDs in London outside of capital markets? I am mostly interested in private equity and venture capital.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”