Bonus Speculation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Bonus Speculation

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 am

rpupkin wrote:
MillllerTime wrote:Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!
Here here! Finally, there's a big law firm on the scene that actually cares about associates.
It's the little things that make Cadwalader truly shine as a bastion of associate compassion. Why, I hear many of their partners frequently go out of their way to communicate at high volumes at associates just in case any are hard of hearing!

charliekelly33

New

Post by charliekelly33 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
MillllerTime wrote:Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!
Here here! Finally, there's a big law firm on the scene that actually cares about associates.
It's the little things that make Cadwalader truly shine as a bastion of associate compassion. Why, I hear many of their partners frequently go out of their way to communicate at high volumes at associates just in case any are hard of hearing!
Those bonuses speak VOLUMES! (see what I did there?)

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:21 am

Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?
Nope, I’d expect a match this afternoon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?
Partner lunch is every Thursday, they will announce the match after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Partner lunch is every Thursday, they will announce the match after that.
Shun the nonbeliever!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
This is just one of many measures that Cadwalader has taken to improve the associate experience. For example, whereas litigation associates at other firms must go to trial in order to get the valuable experience of billing over 2,500 hours a year, Cadwalader gives associates the opportunity to bill high hours without the nuisance of going to court. At Cadwalader, you can bill 2,500-3,000 hours while drafting discovery responses and reviewing documents—all at the comfort of your desk. Very innovative!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 pm

DPW matched.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW matched.
Game over. Now lets start the NY to $200k thread!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW matched.
It's not on ATL yet, so I call fake news.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:32 pm

D P double fuck You

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Shaaaaaaame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Not sure if anyone’s interested but Akin Gump matched and with the usual up to 25K extra

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm

The reason bonus did not go up is because ny is going to 200k this January.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Pokemon wrote:The reason bonus did not go up is because ny is going to 200k this January.
Don’t forget the gross up to compensate us for the additional unpaid raise in 2017
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm

AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 pm

nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.
do you guys get stipends?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Don't work there, just saw it on ATL (https://abovethelaw.com/2017/12/no-bonu ... glaw-firm/).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
yeah - 10k Stipend

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
yeah - 10k Stipend
Whoever outted this to ATL just fucked over future classes. 10k stipend >> whatever bonus stubs typically get. At most it's like 3,750 and that's if you are on track for 2000 hours at firms without hours cut offs. It wouldn't surprise me if most stubs wouldn't anything at Akin even if they were eligible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
yeah - 10k Stipend
Whoever outted this to ATL just fucked over future classes. 10k stipend >> whatever bonus stubs typically get. At most it's like 3,750 and that's if you are on track for 2000 hours at firms without hours cut offs. It wouldn't surprise me if most stubs wouldn't anything at Akin even if they were eligible.
I'm the OP re 10k Stipend - the stipend is a 10k loan, so you still gotta pay it back. Still kinda shitty imo, but it was nice to have the 10k upfront, untaxed to get me through the summer.

Edit:
My understanding was that a bunch of DC firms did stipend instead of stub bonus.

Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
yeah - 10k Stipend
I'm the OP re 10k Stipend - the stipend is a 10k loan, so you still gotta pay it back. Still kinda shitty imo, but it was nice to have the 10k upfront, untaxed to get me through the summer.

Edit:
My understanding was that a bunch of DC firms did stipend instead of stub bonus.

Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)
Stipend = Free cash
Advance = Loan

If you had to pay it back, I take back what I said. But many firms give 10-20k free cash but then don't do a stub year bonus. That is better than advance + stub bonus. Sounds like Akin is just doing advance + NOBUONUS. That sucks. Lets bash this TTT.

charliekelly33

New

Post by charliekelly33 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
yeah - 10k Stipend

Edit:

If its a loan then that's weak. I know of firms that pay the 10k stipend not as loan and do not do stub year bonus, which is actually more overall comp. Most firms do a loan and a stub year bonus. Akin's policy means their first years are paying back their loan (i.e., substantially lower paychecks) and not getting a stub bonus. That's rough on the start up costs/first loan payments hitting first years right now.

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My understanding was that only a few firms have hours requirements, and everyone else was simply lockstep, so even stubs would get their bonus (which is around 4500-5000). You Akin'rs should riot!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:37 pm

nybar2017 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
My understanding was that only a few firms have hours requirements, and everyone else was simply lockstep, so even stubs would get their bonus (which is around 4500-5000). You Akin'rs should riot!
We are sheep no more.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”