Bonus Speculation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Platinum

Re: Bonus Speculation

Post by 2014 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got fugged on my bonus despite billing ~2200 hours as a mid-level - was gonna use this to wipe out my loan balance but since I've been rewarded instead with boomer partners' POCKET CHANGE in lieu of real bone-us, SOFI's investors will continue sipping mai tai's on the beach in the MALDIVES for another few months at my expense. Feels bad, man, feels real bad.

Better update my resume to include that article I "co-wrote" with several partners' earlier this year and instruct the tailor to make my suits fit me again, this is the last straw DAMNIT.
Brutal, sorry anon. Presume you are somewhere where bonuses are "discretionary based on holistic considerations" or something? :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Anyone from BSF care to comment on bonuses this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 am

Anyone know what WLRK bonuses were?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:37 pm

I have not yet received my bonus. Ok to ask someone? I am a bit confused as I really expected it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have not yet received my bonus. Ok to ask someone? I am a bit confused as I really expected it.
Have other associates at your firm received bonuses yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have not yet received my bonus. Ok to ask someone? I am a bit confused as I really expected it.
Have other associates at your firm received bonuses yet?

Yes. I am just very surprised given my work, reviews and perceived relationship I had with the partners I worked with. It will not be the first time hr messes something up for me. Or maybe just wishful thinking. This will be one of the worse readings of a situation in my whole life if I got no bonused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm

So how hard is it to lateral to Irell lol?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:52 pm

You really want to lateral to a has-been firm that's lost its highest profile non-patent partners because they gave out good bonuses for one year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:14 pm

It was a joke mostly, I know nothing about the firm except that I likely wouldn't have had the grades to get in the door.

I'm not from CA, so what is the deal with that firm? Just curious why it's considered a "has-been" as an outsider unfamiliar with the firm. I assume it has to be decently relevant to afford those bonuses, but then again I don't really know much about the finances of any law firm, big or small.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It was a joke mostly, I know nothing about the firm except that I likely wouldn't have had the grades to get in the door.

I'm not from CA, so what is the deal with that firm? Just curious why it's considered a "has-been" as an outsider unfamiliar with the firm. I assume it has to be decently relevant to afford those bonuses, but then again I don't really know much about the finances of any law firm, big or small.
Used to be a major boutique-ish/biglaw-ish litigation shop (sort of like MTO), but all the non-IP litigators left and started Hueston Hennigan. Pretty much all that's left at Irell is IP lit. That said, they are top dog in IP lit, hence the bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 am

Is the process at most law firms mechanically set for bonuses or is there input from partners in your practice group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone from BSF care to comment on bonuses this year?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the process at most law firms mechanically set for bonuses or is there input from partners in your practice group.
The biggest NY firms do it mechanically either based on good standing or an hours threshold but there are dozens of firm with discretionary components, which presumably takes into account your reviews and reputation in your group.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Anyone know whether Sidley pays stub year bonuses? This list is from 2014, but no idea if it still applies: https://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-fir ... ears/?rf=1.

Also curious about timing: are bonuses typically paid in December of that year or not until early the following year?

Any input would be appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know whether Sidley pays stub year bonuses? This list is from 2014, but no idea if it still applies: https://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-fir ... ears/?rf=1.

Also curious about timing: are bonuses typically paid in December of that year or not until early the following year?

They do not pay stub year bonuses to my knowledge. Bonuses at Sidley were paid via direct deposit on like December 22 or so. This was later than the last few years, when they were paid on Dec. 14-16.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know whether Sidley pays stub year bonuses? This list is from 2014, but no idea if it still applies: https://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-fir ... ears/?rf=1.

They do not pay stub year bonuses to my knowledge. Bonuses at Sidley were paid via direct deposit on like December 22 or so. This was later than the last few years, when they were paid on Dec. 14-16.
Thanks for the info. Are you at Sidley, or just know ppl who are?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the info. Are you at Sidley, or just know ppl who are?
I am the anon who posted that response and I am at Sidley.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”