If I give notice before the bonus hits my bank account, do I lose it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If I give notice before the bonus hits my bank account, do I lose it?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Current big law associate planning to lateral on January 2. Going to state gov job with a non-negotiable start date (orientation includes other newbies).

Firm historically pays year end bonus on 12/31. If bonus is announced on 12/1, then I give notice on something like 12/15 (and my official last day is 1/1), does anybody know if I still get my bonus on 12/31?

I realize this will vary widely for firms but I'm wondering if anybody has any real anecdotal data points that they can share.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: If I give notice before the bonus hits my bank account, do I lose it?

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current big law associate planning to lateral on January 2. Going to state gov job with a non-negotiable start date (orientation includes other newbies).

Firm historically pays year end bonus on 12/31. If bonus is announced on 12/1, then I give notice on something like 12/15 (and my official last day is 1/1), does anybody know if I still get my bonus on 12/31?
Probably. The firm would have to go out of its way not to pay you the bonus in the circumstances you describe. But don't count on getting it--there's a chance they'll pull it when they find out you're leaving (or that, for accounting/budget reasons, they decide to pay bonuses in January instead of December).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current big law associate planning to lateral on January 2. Going to state gov job with a non-negotiable start date (orientation includes other newbies).

Probably. The firm would have to go out of its way not to pay you the bonus in the circumstances you describe. But don't count on getting it--there's a chance they'll pull it when they find out you're leaving (or that, for accounting/budget reasons, they decide to pay bonuses in January instead of December).
Got it; thanks. This answered my questions really well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am

Not OP but also interested in this, if anybody else has any info. Thanks if so.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP but also interested in this, if anybody else has any info. Thanks if so.
Assume they will

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”