Asking about lateraling as a first year associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking about lateraling as a first year associate

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey TLS,

So I started at my firm within the past few months, and thus far I’ve greatly enjoyed the people and the work. Recently, however, the firm circulated an email asking us to refer any first to fourth year associates (implication was from other firms, but did not rule out internal transfers) that do the type of work our firm does who might be interested in relocating to the firm’s relatively new, quite small office in a non major market. I happen to be from that market, and it’s been my long term (five-ish plus years) plan to eventually relocate there, ideally lateraling within the firm to that office if it was growing.

Basically, if I respond to the circular and indicate interest in relocating to that office myself, will I face severe blow-back or jeopardize my future at the firm? I should stress that I am happy at my current location and wouldn’t be seeking to lateral on my own for at least five years, just that the opportunity to do so while staying at my current firm is enticing and unexpected.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Asking about lateraling as a first year associate

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Is there a partner at the firm you have a connection with or that you trust? I would recommend talking to them first if so.

I would only caution you that if you broach the subject of this move, you should be prepared to make it in the relatively near term. The firm would much prefer to hire someone internally so I think it’s a likely outcome, but it would be awkward to express the desire to move and then continue in your current office for more than a few months.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”