2L Strike out. Would 2L public interest job hurt my chance get into Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Strike out. Would 2L public interest job hurt my chance get into Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Background: T10 law school, slightly below median (3.2X), secondary journal. Have some irrelevant WE before law school.

Unfortunately I do not have ties to any secondary market. My hometown is in a very competitive market. So far I've mass mailed over 500 firms in major markets, Biglaw, mid-sized firms. My mass mail return rate is pretty high. Last time I counted, I got at least 250 dings (both snail mail and e-mail). Those dings are from either Biglaw or Midlaw. 0 screeners. There's no error on my resume or cover letter. I have a clean criminal background.

I start to lose hope now. I don't see if I stand any chance to land a 2L SA position. If my OCI teaches me anything, it is the fact that mass mail does not work for everyone.

Now, I start to consider alternatives. If I choose to do a public interest job for 2L summer, would it greatly hurt my chance to get into a Biglaw? If I'm unable to find a SA position, at least I have to do something law-related.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 2L Strike out. Would 2L public interest job hurt my chance get into Biglaw?

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 pm

To be honest, if you dont score a SA, your chances at biglaw for the conceivable future is pretty slim to nill. It really doesn't make a difference what you do next summer because 3L oci isn't a thing anymore.

Keep hustling, because without a 2L SA, your chances at biglaw are really really low. Like exceedingly low. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 am

This is anecdotal obviously, but I know a couple of people (from both T14 and not so greats schools) with lower GPAs who struck out at OCI. They got clerkships with a magistrate judge and were able to find biglaw (low vault ranked) during those clerkships. Always an option if you're interested in litigation!

calmtigers

New

Post by calmtigers » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 am

I think before you do that. Switch up your attack plan.

Change up your letter / get it reviewed. Try different methods on MM.
Aggressively network, get people to turn your app in. Tout the school then your credentials. Especially to those who are familiar with the prestige.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 am

For the rest of 2017 I would aggressively mass mail to find an SA. I know people who have not gotten big law, got a clerkship, and now are in big law so that would be my backup plan if I were in your shoes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 am

I am exactly like you, my stats are the same. I also struck out at OCI. However, I have a SA. Did you leverage your network? Did you go out to coffee with people? 500MM and no screeners means that there is something in there going wrong. I got lots of screeners and a few callback from MM, but the job offer came from a networking leverage.

As others said, if you miss the SA boat, big-law becomes incredibly unlikely. You need to hit midlaw hard right now, as their hiring cycle is slower. They are good options and often give return offers and can be easier to leverage up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am exactly like you, my stats are the same. I also struck out at OCI. However, I have a SA. Did you leverage your network? Did you go out to coffee with people? 500MM and no screeners means that there is something in there going wrong. I got lots of screeners and a few callback from MM, but the job offer came from a networking leverage.

As others said, if you miss the SA boat, big-law becomes incredibly unlikely. You need to hit midlaw hard right now, as their hiring cycle is slower. They are good options and often give return offers and can be easier to leverage up.
OP here.
I've had coffee with a number of people, but then those firms dinged me.
Since I've been dinged by most midlaws, is it possible to turn a ding into a screener by networking? I have limited free time so I'd like to focus on networking with the right people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am exactly like you, my stats are the same. I also struck out at OCI. However, I have a SA. Did you leverage your network? Did you go out to coffee with people? 500MM and no screeners means that there is something in there going wrong. I got lots of screeners and a few callback from MM, but the job offer came from a networking leverage.

OP here.
I've had coffee with a number of people, but then those firms dinged me.
Since I've been dinged by most midlaws, is it possible to turn a ding into a screener by networking? I have limited free time so I'd like to focus on networking with the right people.
If you want big law and you want an SA it is your number one priority, it is where your time should be going. I worked my ass off until halfway through October, my main focus on employment. If you've been dinged, you're out for now, but you need to ask your connections there if they know firms that are hiring and you need to maintain your network for next year to have any sort of a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Was in your exact boat a few years back. Didn’t end up getting big Law (or mid-Law) and decided around graduation time to go PI/Gov. I now work Government (and am actually quite happy here as an aside) but I feel like I’m meeting a lot of people who focused their energies on getting good prestigious PI or Gov jobs and, after a few years there, turned that into big/mid law. Sometimes in a special field, sometimes not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”