Lawyer folks: when did you buy a house? (or when do you plan to?) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Lawyer folks: when did you buy a house? (or when do you plan to?)

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 pm

tag. I want to buy a house, but NYC sucks. Looks like a lot of DC home buyers ITT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm

When I bought a house: 5 years out of law school, 1BR condo
Salary? Fed (currently GS-14)
Student loan debt? graduated almost quarter-mill in debt
Market/location? DC
Other factors (spouse, inheritance, etc)? Parents helped with half of down payment
Purchase price? Same as student loan debt :-/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Bought a house in law school (so works and saved for a few years pre-school)
Salary: HH income about 50k/year
No debt and a full scholarship
Market: Chicagoland

Saved up enough to put half-down. Bought a really cheap house in an up-and-coming neighborhood (lots of stock out there...) will have about 150k in equity to use as a down payment once I start biglaw.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Key to buying a house according to this thread: don't work in SF, LA, or NYC and when you do buy, have your parents help out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am

When I bought a house: 8 years out of law school (closing in two weeks!)
Price: ~900k
Salary? In-house, similar to junior biglaw salaries
Student loan debt? Zero (my spouse has some)
Market/location? Boston
Other factors (spouse, inheritance, etc)? We could have bought much sooner, but didn't want to be tied down. Instead, we spent most of our money traveling. Now we're going to be house poor -_-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Since we're talking about houses, I'm gonna ask this here. Anyone can recommend any particular areas in Brooklyn worth looking at when house-hunting? I work in downtown Manhattan, spouse works in Brooklyn, so we need trains to be within walking distance. Looking for a safe area that would allow for a bearable commute lol Looking for something 2-3 family to rent out one of the apartments to help with mortgage. Income about 200k for both of us. Able to put down about 300-350k. Any advice is appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Key to buying a house according to this thread: don't work in SF, LA, or NYC and when you do buy, have your parents help out.
LA is not even close to comparable to SF or NYC.

3 years from law school.
Cravath Scale
No debt
LA market
650k 2br condo close to Staples center.

edit: i shouldnt say LA "is not even close" because its a somewhat relative comparison. But I'd venture that it goes SF > NYC > SV > DC > > > LA

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Key to buying a house according to this thread: don't work in SF, LA, or NYC and when you do buy, have your parents help out.
edit: i shouldnt say LA "is not even close" because its a somewhat relative comparison. But I'd venture that it goes SF > NYC > SV > DC > > > LA
That's not right at all. LA is far more expensive on par than DC. The issue with comparing LA to anything else is that it is more expansive and has more micro-markets than its peer cities. Be that as it may, it's still more expensive than DC and likely on par with SV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

That's not true at all. Homes in Palo Alto are far, far, far more expensive than all but the priciest parts of LA. In general, NYC/SF are in a league of their own. LA might be third, but it's not even remotely as expensive as those two markets.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:42 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:That's not true at all. Homes in Palo Alto are far, far, far more expensive than all but the priciest parts of LA. In general, NYC/SF are in a league of their own. LA might be third, but it's not even remotely as expensive as those two markets.
According to the data, that is correct. Median home prices in the San Jose-Santa Clara area are around $1m, while in Los Angeles County they are around $570,000. But my point is that Los Angeles County includes many, many vast swaths of territory that people who work in the legal industry won't live due to how massive Los Angeles County is -- no one working downtown or in Century City is going to be living in Castaic, Gorman, Lancaster/Palmdale, etc -- whereas the Palo Alto-Santa Clara market is much more compact. If we compact the area in Los Angeles County where people can live, prices would likely be closer to the same.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:That's not true at all. Homes in Palo Alto are far, far, far more expensive than all but the priciest parts of LA. In general, NYC/SF are in a league of their own. LA might be third, but it's not even remotely as expensive as those two markets.
According to the data, that is correct. Median home prices in the San Jose-Santa Clara area are around $1m, while in Los Angeles County they are around $570,000. But my point is that Los Angeles County includes many, many vast swaths of territory that people who work in the legal industry won't live due to how massive Los Angeles County is -- no one working downtown or in Century City is going to be living in Castaic, Gorman, Lancaster/Palmdale, etc -- whereas the Palo Alto-Santa Clara market is much more compact. If we compact the area in Los Angeles County where people can live, prices would likely be closer to the same.
Is that the case though? There are plenty of 2-bedroom luxury condos in the DTLA area that sell for 650-700K. Those would be selling for 1.25M+ in SF or NYC. What gets you a nice, livable apartment in DTLA (where assuredly many associates would live because of how many firms are in downtown) gets you an oversized closet in NYC/SF.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:51 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Is that the case though? There are plenty of 2-bedroom luxury condos in the DTLA area that sell for 650-700K. Those would be selling for 1.25M+ in SF or NYC. What gets you a nice, livable apartment in DTLA (where assuredly many associates would live because of how many firms are in downtown) gets you an oversized closet in NYC/SF.
I never said LA was as expensive as NYC/SF. I agree those two are more expensive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 pm

This is a $1.5 MILLION home in Palo Alto lollllll

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:42 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
While I agree that the Bay Area market is grossly overpriced, this is a pretty extreme example, given that $1.5M also buys pretty nice 2-3 bedroom places right next door in Menlo Park.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

I disagree. Lots of nice places in Palms and Mar Vista area for $1M (15 minute commute to Century City and about 45 minutes to downtown), where that seems almost impossible to find in SV without commuting at least an hour. I bought a decent westside house in 2014 for $800k 3 miles from beach and 15 minutes from century city. Similar places in SF or SV would be $1.2-1.5M. Huge difference.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:05 pm

anon3030 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

I disagree. Lots of nice places in Palms and Mar Vista area for $1M (15 minute commute to Century City and about 45 minutes to downtown), where that seems almost impossible to find in SV without commuting at least an hour. I bought a decent westside house in 2014 for $800k 3 miles from beach and 15 minutes from century city. Similar places in SF or SV would be $1.2-1.5M. Huge difference.
Good for you for buying in 2014, but NEWSFLASH amgio, the market has changed in the last 3 years. Maybe you've missed the hojillion news articles about the housing crisis in LA?

Go to Zillow, search for Palms and Mar Vista, narrow the search to houses (since that is what you're talking about), and show me more than a couple stragglers that are under $1.2m.

Also, as someone who has dabbled in the westside market over the last two years, nothing is going for asking, so that figure is likely at least 10%-20% below reality.

The point is that NYC and SF are by far more expensive than anything else, with SV and LA following not too far behind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ATXBiglaw

New

Post by ATXBiglaw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Bought a house just under 2 years out from law school
Salary? Cravath scale at the time of purchase (since moved to a boutique)
Student loan debt? $40,000 - paid off under a year from graduation
Market/location? TX
Other factors (spouse, inheritance, etc)? Spouse made $65,000; interest rate was low 3s; only put 10% down
Purchase price? $460,000

Also got married & bought my now-wife a new car within a year of purchase. Was strapped AF for cash for a while, but built the nest egg back up using my bonus from last year.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Above is the way to do it re the down payment. When I bought my house a while ago, a couple of banks were giving associates financing up to 1MM with only 10% down. I know some of the private banks will give loans to partners at 5% down. I'm not sure these types of deals are going to be around forever.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
anon3030 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Good for you for buying in 2014, but NEWSFLASH amgio, the market has changed in the last 3 years. Maybe you've missed the hojillion news articles about the housing crisis in LA?

Go to Zillow, search for Palms and Mar Vista, narrow the search to houses (since that is what you're talking about), and show me more than a couple stragglers that are under $1.2m.

Also, as someone who has dabbled in the westside market over the last two years, nothing is going for asking, so that figure is likely at least 10%-20% below reality.

The point is that NYC and SF are by far more expensive than anything else, with SV and LA following not too far behind.
Please reconcile.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:48 pm

run26.2 wrote:Above is the way to do it re the down payment. When I bought my house a while ago, a couple of banks were giving associates financing up to 1MM with only 10% down. I know some of the private banks will give loans to partners at 5% down. I'm not sure these types of deals are going to be around forever.
Pmi sucks though. Could consider an 80/10/10 when rates are lower like now. But yeah down payments are definitely the hard part for a lot of people.

*I'm anon from earlier with investment properties

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote: The point is that NYC and SF are by far more expensive than anything else, with SV and LA following not too far behind.
SV is just as fucked up as SF. The only saving grace is (mostly) good public schools.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
On the plus side, there's a Philz within walking distance of that place. The neighborhood is actually really nice, so I would actually consider dropping 1.5 and another 2-300k on renovations to make it livable (if I were a tech bro with VC money).

I've made peace with the fact that I will probably never buy a home in the bay area. Just comes with the territory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 pm

House #1: Law school
Salary? n/a
Student loan debt? n/a
Market/location? next to T14 law school
Other factors (spouse, inheritance, etc)? Spouse made ~30k
Purchase price? 150k

House #2: Upon starting biglaw job, early 2010s
Salary? 160k
Student loan debt? 150k
Market/location? DC
Other factors (spouse, inheritance, etc)? Spouse, but now staying at home