1st Year Lateraling with Shitty Grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1st Year Lateraling with Shitty Grades

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Have shitty grades from a T10, but luckily summered and am now a 1st year at a mid-size firm. Looking to make a move due to family reasons. My shitty grades are due to some mental health stuff and coming to terms with my sexuality. Is there a way I can say this in a cover letter and/or in interviews that will only enhance my application? I am especially worried about copping to the mental health stuff. Thanks!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: 1st Year Lateraling with Shitty Grades

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have shitty grades from a T10, but luckily summered and am now a 1st year at a mid-size firm. Looking to make a move due to family reasons. My shitty grades are due to some mental health stuff and coming to terms with my sexuality. Is there a way I can say this in a cover letter and/or in interviews that will only enhance my application? I am especially worried about copping to the mental health stuff. Thanks!
Some firms will care about your shitty grades; others won't. Apply to lots of firms in your target market. Don't explain your grades in your cover letter (and definitely don't state or suggest that you have mental health issues).

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm

There is literally no way you can enhance your application as a first year lateral by discussing mental health issues. Why would you ever discuss your sexuality in a cover letter? Are you considering lateraling after a month? Honestly, it sounds like you need to adjust to life as an adult before a lateral move.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm

This isn't meant as a criticism of you, OP, because you're not alone in this, your post just reminded me: I swear I think that the practice of writing addenda as part of law school applications, to explain various imperfections, makes some people think that this kind of thing is helpful when applying for jobs. It's really not. You explain everything on law school apps (in part because you have to do the same for the bar), but for jobs you select only the best, brightest parts of yourself and shine them up so your resume glows, and ignore all the bad/dubious/confusing/at all less than positive shit.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have shitty grades from a T10, but luckily summered and am now a 1st year at a mid-size firm. Looking to make a move due to family reasons. My shitty grades are due to some mental health stuff and coming to terms with my sexuality. Is there a way I can say this in a cover letter and/or in interviews that will only enhance my application? I am especially worried about copping to the mental health stuff. Thanks!
ARE YOU CRAZY?! YOU BETTER KEEP ALL OF THIS TO YOUR SELF AND DON'T DISCLOSE YOUR GPA. A T10 IS A GOOD SCHOOL SO PERHAPS THE GRADES MIGHT NOT MATTER AS MUCH.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:05 pm

sparty99 wrote:
ARE YOU CRAZY?! YOU BETTER KEEP ALL OF THIS TO YOUR SELF AND DON'T DISCLOSE YOUR GPA. A T10 IS A GOOD SCHOOL SO PERHAPS THE GRADES MIGHT NOT MATTER AS MUCH.
ffs sparty don't fucking yell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”