Litigators, how do you keep yourself organized and on top of deadlines? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Raiden

Bronze

Litigators, how do you keep yourself organized and on top of deadlines?

Post by Raiden » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:01 pm

I have found myself never fully satisfied with each system I create to keep myself organized. My current technique is to have my secretary match the calendar on our case management system with my outlook calendar, and add any random projects that I always get onto my todo list on my outlook, which actually syncs with my iphone...but I still feel paranoid that I am missing something...

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Litigators, how do you keep yourself organized and on top of deadlines?

Post by Nebby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't know what you could do more. You're fine

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 pm

By looking at my calendar every day, seeing what my deadlines are for the upcoming week or two, promptly forgetting because there's shit due NOW, remembering the day before something is due, getting an extension or finishing it if possible. Repeat.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Pleasye wrote:By looking at my calendar every day, seeing what my deadlines are for the upcoming week or two, promptly forgetting because there's shit due NOW, remembering the day before something is due, getting an extension or finishing it if possible. Repeat.
My "system" is much closer to yours than it is to Raiden's

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 pm

I have a whiteboard with all the cases assigned to me, with 1 different cases in different parts of the board, depending on where the case is, 2 color-coded check marks for landmarks within each case's lifespan, and 3 a numbered list of each case that is in each stage. I also have weekly/monthly excel reminders for every kind of thing that has a non-screaming deadline.

I also keep a comprehensive running to do list, which got way more helpful when I started actually putting everything I hadn't done on it (not saying hey, I'll remember to do that when I get there).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hlss09

New

Post by hlss09 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Microsoft Mail has a great checklist function, as well as calendar.

I put every case-related deadline in the checklist (i.e., when I receive responses to discovery, I enter deadlines for filing motion to compel/opposing counsel's deadline to respond, my deadline to reply, etc.). I also put all the little tasks in there too (I.e., review documents, draft declaration, respond to RFAs, serve doc requests, research XYZ, etc.

I also use a program that organizes the tasks for each case -- so instead of having the tasks all over the place, they're organized by case.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 pm

The task list feature in Outlook is also useful

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 pm

I pin shit I need to do to the top of my email and sometimes make a list when I have too much, like now. Better for shorter term stuff though

I also put post its on my computer screen for small stuff I'm likely to forget.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Remember things in my head, use One Note from time to time, and leave papers strewn over my desk that serve as reminders.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm like a smart person. I just keep it all in here *points at head*.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Raiden wrote:I have found myself never fully satisfied with each system I create to keep myself organized. My current technique is to have my secretary match the calendar on our case management system with my outlook calendar, and add any random projects that I always get onto my todo list on my outlook, which actually syncs with my iphone...but I still feel paranoid that I am missing something...
That's more than I do. I have the case calendars on my wall and use my white board to mark individual tasks/due dates.

Edit: Ah shit I have like 5 hours of CLE to do by the 31st. (Just looked at my white board).

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 pm

First Offense wrote:
Raiden wrote:I have found myself never fully satisfied with each system I create to keep myself organized. My current technique is to have my secretary match the calendar on our case management system with my outlook calendar, and add any random projects that I always get onto my todo list on my outlook, which actually syncs with my iphone...but I still feel paranoid that I am missing something...
That's more than I do. I have the case calendars on my wall and use my white board to mark individual tasks/due dates.

Edit: Ah shit I have like 5 hours of CLE to do by the 31st. (Just looked at my white board).
oooo I have CLEs to do before January 1st I think, thanks for the reminder.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Pleasye wrote:By looking at my calendar every day, seeing what my deadlines are for the upcoming week or two, promptly forgetting because there's shit due NOW, remembering the day before something is due, getting an extension or finishing it if possible. Repeat.
My "system" is much closer to yours than it is to Raiden's

ditto, lol.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 pm

I do all of that plus I also set due dates for a week- week and half in my outlook that something is due (so it gets done on time). I periodically get last minute drop everything now tasks that get in the way or have an unexpected/ plan appearance or conference so by giving myself a bit of a premature deadline I can help manage things....

and when all else fails, a lot of coffee for those inevitable super late nights/early mornings.

Its really nice when opposing counsel is someone I've dealt with before and I know I can at least get a week/ 2 week adjournment ( or they will do the same) when all else fails. But I try to minimize those as much as possible

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”