Potential Character & Fitness Issue Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Potential Character & Fitness Issue

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:38 am

I disclosed my two arrests and sentences on my law school application--both were resolved over 8 years ago. But I misstated the total amount of fines I paid on my law school application by $1,100. (I stated I paid $900 total instead of $2,000 total.)

I made the mistake because a court document I relied on did not include my fine; I discovered the mistake because a different document I obtained for summer employment did include the fine.

Would this mistake be considered me being "less than candid about my past criminal behavior"? If so, who at my school should I report my mistake to? Also, what type of documentation should I get indicating the correction?

Thank you!

encore1101

Silver

Re: Potential Character & Fitness Issue

Post by encore1101 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 am

1. Disclose it and you'll be fine. As long as you were candid of what you were convicted for, I don't see the fine being a huge issue (unless the amount of the fine escalated the crime from a misdemeanor or felony or something). Provide the explanation that you provided here, as well as the documentation showing the $900 amount that you originally disclosed and the subsequent documentation listing the actual fine.

2. Ask upperclassmen or fellow students, they may know whom to communicate with. Or, speak with the Dean of Admissions, Dean of Student Affairs, or something similar and ask them how to go about amending your law school application.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”