State AG Criminal Appeals -> ??? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State AG Criminal Appeals -> ???

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 am

Hi all,

I've worked in my state AG's office of criminal appeals for two years (+/- a few months), and I'm wondering whether I'm now tethered to my state. Wife is ABD in a PhD program and we might move elsewhere as soon as she lands a job.

1) If we happen to move to a city with a state AG's office, what're the chances they'd want to extend an interview?
2) If we move to a city without a state AG's office, or the AG's office isn't hiring, what are my potential career moves?

Basically: am I fuct in the likely event that we move away? How should I start planning to mitigate the fuctitude?

Thx

Anonymous User

Re: State AG Criminal Appeals -> ???

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Bumping

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Two years isn't long enough to get super-specialized. I'd assume you could plausibly apply to some other kind of appellate work (e.g., a biglaw appellate group), or really anywhere that might value extensive writing experience (which is almost anywhere).

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:28 pm

tomwatts wrote:Two years isn't long enough to get super-specialized. I'd assume you could plausibly apply to some other kind of appellate work (e.g., a biglaw appellate group), or really anywhere that might value extensive writing experience (which is almost anywhere).
I would agree with parts of this. Two years isn't long enough to get super specialized, and full-time appellate work is amazing for research/writing skills. You're still junior enough that firms will probably overlook that you don't have the bullshit day-to-day discovery/doc review/etc. skills that you can just learn if you want to end up doing non-appellate litigation.

For non-traditional paths like this I really would look more at smaller boutique firms or other government jobs, rather than biglaw firms (although, not that you shouldn't try if that's something you're interested in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:57 pm

OP here. Is it possible to move into firm-side civil appeals?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Also curious whether possible to move into a consumer protection section in either gov't or private practice. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am

I work in a similar situation, prosecutor side criminal appeals (for less time than you have), and the People I've seen go out of state try to get clerkships (both state and federal). It's a little bit of a step back but it seems to be the way to have people get situated.

Have you been doing habeas writs yet? The federal admittance definitely seems to help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I've worked in my state AG's office of criminal appeals for two years (+/- a few months), and I'm wondering whether I'm now tethered to my state. Wife is ABD in a PhD program and we might move elsewhere as soon as she lands a job.

1) If we happen to move to a city with a state AG's office, what're the chances they'd want to extend an interview?
2) If we move to a city without a state AG's office, or the AG's office isn't hiring, what are my potential career moves?

Basically: am I fuct in the likely event that we move away? How should I start planning to mitigate the fuctitude?

Thx
Not to hijack your thread, but what was your path to criminal appeals in the AG's office? I am interested in going that way once I graduate.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:17 am

Not the OP, but I interned for my state AG’s appeals office in law school. Lots and lots of the appellate attorneys had done a state COA clerkship, and they would hire people straight out of those clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Thx
Not to hijack your thread, but what was your path to criminal appeals in the AG's office? I am interested in going that way once I graduate.
Dumb luck. Applied, interviewed twice, copped an offer. Below median an at DCNG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”