Lateral - Conflicts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 301567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Lateral - Conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm

I’m in litigation at a V50 moving to a corporate/lit split position in IP at a V75. I have been asked for a conflicts sheet - went to our time entry system and had over 800 pages of entries. I can sort by c/m, but in some have no idea who the adverse party/ies were so can’t fully complete the sheet. What do I do? I don’t want to alert my current firm to the move (I haven’t decided I’m leaving yet honestly), so I don’t think I can just call up conflicts... How do folks navigate this?

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Lateral - Conflicts

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

800 pages--that's just odd. Sometimes they only ask for the last three years. Does that limit it? Otherwise when I did it I just filled it out to the best of my knowledge. There were no issues. I was a 4th year corporate associate when I moved.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lateral - Conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:800 pages--that's just odd. Sometimes they only ask for the last three years. Does that limit it? Otherwise when I did it I just filled it out to the best of my knowledge. There were no issues. I was a 4th year corporate associate when I moved.


It’s every entry I ever made into the timekeeping system. I can’t seem to narrow it down to just a list of matters - and even if I could (I’ll sort through the entries, at least they are grouped by c/m number), for some of the multi-district litigation I don’t know who all the parties were because I was just a doc review monkey.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Lateral - Conflicts

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:800 pages--that's just odd. Sometimes they only ask for the last three years. Does that limit it? Otherwise when I did it I just filled it out to the best of my knowledge. There were no issues. I was a 4th year corporate associate when I moved.


It’s every entry I ever made into the timekeeping system. I can’t seem to narrow it down to just a list of matters - and even if I could (I’ll sort through the entries, at least they are grouped by c/m number), for some of the multi-district litigation I don’t know who all the parties were because I was just a doc review monkey.


Oh I see.

Check on your intranet to see if there is a function in the billing or timekeeping websites where you can produce a list of every matter you have worked on. Alternatively, if you cant find that, you can ask billing for a report of every matter you have worked on because "you have a management review coming up and you want to review your matters so that you can accurately discuss them with your mentor" or something like that.

ghostoftraynor
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Lateral - Conflicts

Postby ghostoftraynor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:800 pages--that's just odd. Sometimes they only ask for the last three years. Does that limit it? Otherwise when I did it I just filled it out to the best of my knowledge. There were no issues. I was a 4th year corporate associate when I moved.


It’s every entry I ever made into the timekeeping system. I can’t seem to narrow it down to just a list of matters - and even if I could (I’ll sort through the entries, at least they are grouped by c/m number), for some of the multi-district litigation I don’t know who all the parties were because I was just a doc review monkey.


Oh I see.

Check on your intranet to see if there is a function in the billing or timekeeping websites where you can produce a list of every matter you have worked on. Alternatively, if you cant find that, you can ask billing for a report of every matter you have worked on because "you have a management review coming up and you want to review your matters so that you can accurately discuss them with your mentor" or something like that.


This is a good idea. Whatever you say, conflicts isn't going to rat you out.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.