Any other corporate juniors slow? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
v5junior

Bronze

Re: Any other corporate juniors slow?

Post by v5junior » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a junior in NYC not at a V10, and I was surprised by the posts above -- I work in Capital Markets, which has been absolutely insane since the summer of 2016. Everyone is completely overwhelmed and on pace to bill 2400+. Our other groups aside from M&A have been very busy too. M&A was allegedly dead earlier in the year (like under 10 hours a month dead), but has picked up since August.

Not bragging btw - it sucks and everyone is at the end of their rope. Would much rather be slow. Not sure if we're just understaffed or what.
The thought that anyone could interpret this as bragging...lol

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Maybe there is a structural decline in legal services needed?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:Maybe there is a structural decline in legal services needed?
Yeah ok bro. Next thing you're going to try to sell to me is that the earth is round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an insane first half of the year now super slow. Trying to determine whether I'm being frozen out.
was slow at end of last month; but big deal in the works and already at 200 hours for the month. Worried I wasn't gonna hit hours and now it's looking pretty good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 pm

stub year, literally billed 0 hours, not staffed on anything

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:stub year, literally billed 0 hours, not staffed on anything
When did you start?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:49 am

3rd year - last couple of months have been ~100 hours. Not complaining, though. All of the previous ones this year have been 200-275.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:My feeling is that corporate in Los Angeles has been "slower" this year than average (based purely off my own experience and friends at some other places). However, it could just be our offices, it's really hard to generalize a market as a whole since all you really know is how slow your own office is. Could be completely different at a firm across the street or the same firm but office in another market.
Hey bro this town ain't big enough for two Smokeys.
Looks like I was here way before you... :p

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:My feeling is that corporate in Los Angeles has been "slower" this year than average (based purely off my own experience and friends at some other places). However, it could just be our offices, it's really hard to generalize a market as a whole since all you really know is how slow your own office is. Could be completely different at a firm across the street or the same firm but office in another market.
Hey bro this town ain't big enough for two Smokeys.
Looks like I was here way before you... :p
OK. But only I can remind you that only you can prevent forest fires.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:stub year, literally billed 0 hours, not staffed on anything
If your hours don't count during stub year then just sit back and relax. The only thing I did as a stub was some pro bono work. In retrospect, I wish I had just gone on vacation instead of dicking around the office from 9-5 every day.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm

legit recommendation I got when i started was if youre the kind of person who needs to always be doing something, get a hobby. there will be months where youll be able to paint the fuck outta some warhammer pieces

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”