can't find an associate on the website Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

can't find an associate on the website

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 am

Hi-
was looking for an associate (2016 graduate) on the firm's website but can't seem to find their info.
How long does it normally take for Latham & Watkins and White & Case to update associates information?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: can't find an associate on the website

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi-
was looking for an associate (2016 graduate) on the firm's website but can't seem to find their info.
How long does it normally take for Latham & Watkins and White & Case to update associates information?
This is a weird question. So you're looking for an associate whom you expect to find on both the Latham & Watkins and White & Case web sites? What are you asking exactly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:16 am

OP here,

sorry for the confusion. I met some great people at a networking event and wanted to reach out but couldn't find their info. One works at Lathem & Watkins and the other works at White & Case. I thought it was weird.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

sorry for the confusion. I met some great people at a networking event and wanted to reach out but couldn't find their info. One works at Lathem & Watkins and the other works at White & Case. I thought it was weird.
If they're both from the class of 2016 and if they both started in Fall of 2016, then, yes, both should be listed on their firms' web sites by now.

It would be a different story if they were class of 2017. Most law firms won't post an associate's bio until that associate is admitted to practice law. That can take awhile, especially in California and New York.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 am

rpupkin wrote:

If they're both from the class of 2016 and if they both started in Fall of 2016, then, yes, both should be listed on their firms' web sites by now.

It would be a different story if they were class of 2017. Most law firms won't post an associate's bio until that associate is admitted to practice law. That can take awhile, especially in California and New York.
Js wanna add that, if they are class of 2017, depending on firms, you can see their bios if you search them under "law clerks."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:38 am

I'm class of 2016 and I know a bunch of people from my class at my firm who aren't the website yet because they haven't yet been admitted.

Everything's in order, just a matter of making the swearing in dates work.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am

Or they're staff attorneys, which sometimes aren't listed on the website depending on firm (idk about LW or WC).

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 am

Subscribing to this topic.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 am

I've always found this weird too. I know a '15 grad and a '14 grad who aren't listed on their websites -- and yet I've seen the firm put out articles recently where the missing associates are listed.

I've alwyas assumed this came down to bar issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Or they're staff attorneys, which sometimes aren't listed on the website depending on firm (idk about LW or WC).
It would be unusual for staff attorneys to attend a networking event for law students.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Also DC if they're waiving in - some firms put you on the website when your application is filed, but others may keep you off until you're sworn in (and I know numerous '16 grads who aren't sworn in yet).

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:39 pm

If they clerked their first year out of school, they probably would not be listed.

surrealfx

New

Post by surrealfx » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Some people may not be on the website because they haven't provided their biographical information to the team at their firm that maintains the website. They may nonetheless be admitted to practice. If you have their business cards, look them up on the state bar's website, which will have their firm information, phone number, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Or they're staff attorneys, which sometimes aren't listed on the website depending on firm (idk about LW or WC).
It would be unusual for staff attorneys to attend a networking event for law students.
Yeah I suppose so. I've never been to a NYC OCI networking event before so I have no clue who would be involved.

FWIW an old colleague left about 8 months ago to join a "higher ranked" law firm as a staff attorney and just recently showed up on their website as "attorney" and not "associate."

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Post by OfThriceandTen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Latham makes it so that associates don't show up in google searches for the firm website before they are done with the 2 year rotation and are put into practice groups. But if you go to lw.com and search it will show up.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:11 pm

OfThriceandTen wrote:Latham makes it so that associates don't show up in google searches for the firm website before they are done with the 2 year rotation and are put into practice groups. But if you go to lw.com and search it will show up.
Latham associate (c/o 2016) here - this isn't true. The suggestion to check lw.com is a good one nonetheless.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OfThriceandTen wrote:Latham makes it so that associates don't show up in google searches for the firm website before they are done with the 2 year rotation and are put into practice groups. But if you go to lw.com and search it will show up.
Latham associate (c/o 2016) here - this isn't true. The suggestion to check lw.com is a good one nonetheless.
Yeah, some of the takes in this thread strike me as off. It's not January 2017. At this point, anyone who passed the bar in Fall 2016 (and who didn't have C&F issues) should be admitted to practice and on a firm's web site. (If the associate recently changed offices or is otherwise trying to get admitted to the bar in a state where they didn't pass the bar after law school, that would certainly delay things--but that situation isn't common for first-year associates.)

ETA: Also, lol@JusticeJackson's post. Well done.

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi-
Have you tried searching on LinkedIn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:38 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, some of the takes in this thread strike me as off. It's not January 2017. At this point, anyone who passed the bar in Fall 2016 (and who didn't have C&F issues) should be admitted to practice and on a firm's web site. (If the associate recently changed offices or is otherwise trying to get admitted to the bar in a state where they didn't pass the bar after law school, that would certainly delay things--but that situation isn't common for first-year associates.)

I know of quite a few people in large firms who haven't been admitted yet just cause they didn't get around to sending in their applications until late.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Yeah, some of the takes in this thread strike me as off. It's not January 2017. At this point, anyone who passed the bar in Fall 2016 (and who didn't have C&F issues) should be admitted to practice and on a firm's web site. (If the associate recently changed offices or is otherwise trying to get admitted to the bar in a state where they didn't pass the bar after law school, that would certainly delay things--but that situation isn't common for first-year associates.)

I know of quite a few people in large firms who haven't been admitted yet just cause they didn't get around to sending in their applications until late.
yea I know a large handful (mainly transactional, but a couple lit) biglaw associates that took 1-2 years after passing the NY bar to even bother starting with the paperwork/process of being admitted
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 pm

I've worked across from midlevels at another firm who weren't listed on the website. I just assumed it was a The Sixth Sense situation.

Anyway OP this is troubling and I'm glad you've crowd sourced TLS to get to the bottom of this.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:I've worked across from midlevels at another firm who weren't listed on the website. I just assumed it was a The Sixth Sense situation.
Seems right. There isn't much difference between an overworked midlevel and a dead person anyway.

"I see midlevels."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 am

Can confirm, White & Case is incredibly slow to put new bios on its website. In many cases, first-years won't have public bios until they approach their second year. Incoming clerks who start as second-years generally get bios pretty quickly. I'm not sure why any of this is the case, but that seems to be how it goes.

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 am

Some firms are just slow, and most will not put an attorney who is awaiting bar approval on the website until after they are admitted. There are any number of reasons that might get held up.

Also, with junior associates, especially first years, there is no real rush to get them on the site. No client or prospective client is browsing the website of a firm like W&C or LW and deciding to sign a representation letter based on junior attorney profiles.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”