Reciprocity for attorney barred in VA/DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reciprocity for attorney barred in VA/DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm considering a cross-country move (to Colorado/Utah) in the near-to-mid term for family reasons, and I'm trying to figure out how reciprocity works in my scenario. Moving in the next two years would be ideal. Like a lot of attorneys at DC firms, I took the bar in Virginia and then waived into DC by their crazy-long process. I work in a DC office and haven't had any clients or work involving Virginia in any way. Took the VA bar in July 2015, admitted Dec. 2015; not admitted to DC until Sept. 2016. Will my time working while barred in Virginia count toward reciprocity in either CO or UT, or only time since admission to DC?

Also, any ideas for stretching my time that would count toward reciprocity post-move? I'm really looking to avoid sitting for a second bar exam. Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Reciprocity for attorney barred in VA/DC

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 pm

As long as you were an active member in Virginia since you were admitted that time should all count, but I don't think there's any way you can stretch it beyond that.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”