Law School GPA on Resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Animal_Activist

New

Law School GPA on Resume

Post by Animal_Activist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:57 pm

I have seen a lot of these posts but mine may require more thought.

So I am above a 3.0 at my law school but just under the top 50% cut off. I believe it is approximately 0.063 points from the top 50% of the class. Should I leave out my GPA or include it on my resume?

njkga

Bronze

Re: Law School GPA on Resume

Post by njkga » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:50 am

Not including the GPA is a bigger red flag (imo) than including a median-ish gpa. Include the GPA, but don't include the ranking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:13 pm

njkga wrote:Not including the GPA is a bigger red flag (imo) than including a median-ish gpa. Include the GPA, but don't include the ranking.
I disagree. Some schools don't let you add your gpa on your resume. So excluding it is totally fine. And given that your gpa is less than stellar, I'd leave it off. All that info is readily available on your transcript.

If your gpa is the first thing an Interviewer sees, they're going to view your entire resume with an underwhelmed eye. You don't want that.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
njkga wrote:Not including the GPA is a bigger red flag (imo) than including a median-ish gpa. Include the GPA, but don't include the ranking.
I disagree. Some schools don't let you add your gpa on your resume. So excluding it is totally fine. And given that your gpa is less than stellar, I'd leave it off. All that info is readily available on your transcript.

If your gpa is the first thing an Interviewer sees, they're going to view your entire resume with an underwhelmed eye. You don't want that.
OP, if you do not attend a school that prohibits the listing of law school GPAs on resumes, you should keep it on. It definitely would raise eyebrows, moreso than the medianish GPA (which may not raise eyebrows at all).
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I thought the “no GPA on resume” rule was just for OCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I thought the “no GPA on resume” rule was just for OCI?
Interested in this too. I went to NYU - never put GPA while in school, but do I list it now in my resume? Was pretty below median at ~3.25 (self calculated). No actual GPA is listed on my official transcript.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:51 pm

That's my impression (from a school that does that). You might just need to note that it's an unofficial GPA if your school doesn't formally report it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Yeah, it’s one thing if your school doesn’t report your GPA (though in that case I probably wouldn’t list it at all).

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

FWIW when I lateraled I left my sub-3.0 GPA off of my resume despite my being at or above median. Not sure if keeping it off helped or hurt but I imagine that having sub-3.0 would be a red flag automatically. I got interviews at some pretty big firms and was never asked about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Interested in this too. I went to NYU - never put GPA while in school, but do I list it now in my resume? Was pretty below median at ~3.25 (self calculated). No actual GPA is listed on my official transcript.
Also NYU. I put it on resume and LinkedIn now as "GPA: 3.XXX (unofficial)."

I think with below-median it's your call whether it's a good idea to include it. In undergrad, I heard a mix of advice that was usually "If your GPA is over 3.3" (B+ territory) include it" but others said 3.5+ and others said 3.0+.

I think since NYU has the EIW non-inclusion rule, you can get away with leaving it off if you don't want it there. If you do want it there, I just wouldn't list any known-percentiles.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 pm

I think the no GPA rule (for schools that have such a rule) is just for OCI. I think such a rule exists for schools that use a bidding/lottery system for OCI.

This was accidentally Anon, this is njkga

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't do this. It looks weird and would just draw my attention to the fact that you got relatively lousy grades at NYU.

For grads of the top 10 or so law schools, I don't expect to see (and often don't see) GPAs on resumes. There are four schools that don't even have traditional grades. If you went to NYU, it's fine to leave your GPA off your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am

*deleted*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Animal_Activist

New

Post by Animal_Activist » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 pm

I was leaning towards placing my GPA. It is between a 3.0 and 3.1. Maybe for bigger law firms I will leave it out.

AppraisalWaisal

New

Post by AppraisalWaisal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Does this change when you graduate? Never really thought about it but thinking on it, having GPA on your resume when you've been out of school for awhile seems odd.

Could be wrong though.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't do this. It looks weird and would just draw my attention to the fact that you got relatively lousy grades at NYU.

For grads of the top 10 or so law schools, I don't expect to see (and often don't see) GPAs on resumes. There are four schools that don't even have traditional grades. If you went to NYU, it's fine to leave your GPA off your resume.
Yep, from just about any other school you are insane to leave gpa off (unless it’s 2.xx). The small firm I worked at during law school just assumed the person’s grades sucked.

Also don’t put gpa on LinkedIn.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 pm

So my school was very, "Put it on at all costs or it will signal you are not doing super-well," but interestingly, several of my friends who did tests with some resumes with GPA and some without got much better response rates when it was not on their resume. FWIW, their GPAs were 3.0ish to 3.4ish, so not horrid, but not top of the class. This is not a completely either-or question--do some beta tests!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I understand putting your GPA on your resume if the job doesn't request a transcript... but as someone who just came out, it seems like a lot of places want a transcript. Is there any point then?

I've had 2 small firm jobs, both of them wanted transcripts so I didn't put GPA on my resume.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm

how do people stylize the GPA when theres only a cutoff by GPA and not ranking:

i.e.

top 10%=3.1, GPA=3.2

What's the way that's typically written?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 am

Kummel wrote:how do people stylize the GPA when theres only a cutoff by GPA and not ranking:

i.e.

top 10%=3.1, GPA=3.2

What's the way that's typically written?
GPA: 3.2 (Top 10%)

Keep it simple, keep it honest. Noting where the exact Top 10% cutoff is adds little (if any) value, and makes it clunky.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 am

We've done a bit of interviewing for in-house gigs. A quick glance shows GPA's on about 25% of resumes for the last post advertised. Some other candidates did have honors designations with no GPA listed. I don't think it impacted candidates one way or another.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 pm

albanach wrote:We've done a bit of interviewing for in-house gigs. A quick glance shows GPA's on about 25% of resumes for the last post advertised. Some other candidates did have honors designations with no GPA listed. I don't think it impacted candidates one way or another.
But would you agree that it would hurt a candidate's chances if you saw "2.X" GPA?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
albanach wrote:We've done a bit of interviewing for in-house gigs. A quick glance shows GPA's on about 25% of resumes for the last post advertised. Some other candidates did have honors designations with no GPA listed. I don't think it impacted candidates one way or another.
But would you agree that it would hurt a candidate's chances if you saw "2.X" GPA?
It certainly wouldn't help. I think (particularly if you have work experience) that the only time it does help is when the GPA is obviously high - i.e. 3.7+.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”