Requesting time off during SA - ok to do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Requesting time off during SA - ok to do?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:27 pm

I accepted an offer with a biglaw v50 firm in NYC for Summer 2018. I am in a friend's wedding in CA during the SA program and would probably miss two days of work for it (Thursday/Friday). If I let the firm know now, do you think they would take issue with me being gone? I don't want it to affect my chances of getting an offer to return as a 1st year associate after graduation.

bluthmodelhome

New

Re: Requesting time off during SA - ok to do?

Post by bluthmodelhome » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:30 pm

My firm allowed summers to take a few unpaid, pre-approved "vacation" days. I don't know anyone that used them for vacation, but I know people who took days off for clerkship interviews and got offers.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 pm

None of us can really know whether your firm would/wouldn't care, probably not but who knows. But do you really need to take two days off for a wedding? Is it not on a saturday? If so why not just leave Friday night?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 pm

toast and bananas wrote:None of us can really know whether your firm would/wouldn't care, probably not but who knows. But do you really need to take two days off for a wedding? Is it not on a saturday? If so why not just leave Friday night?
OP here. I thought about that. It is on a Saturday, but the rehearsal will be that Friday, so I thought leaving Thursday would be best. It would be great to be there for all of it, but I'm definitely cognizant of the fact that it may not be a possibility.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Reach out to HR and ask. I know several SAs at my firm who took one or two days off for vacation. I think our offers permitted two days.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm

At my firm it wasn't an issue as long as it wasn't excessive and you let people know well in advance but ymmv.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:55 pm

I think two people in my summer class took a Friday off to go to a wedding. In general, the closer you are to the person (i.e. parents/siblings/in the wedding party), the more likely you are to get the day off.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Are you IN the wedding or simply attending? If the latter, why not just get an early-morning flight on Friday, and only miss one day? That should leave you plenty of time to make a rehearsal dinner. I've flown Saturday morning for Saturday afternoon/evening weddings before, and it's very doable unless you're going west coast to east coast.

With this said, someone in my summer class missed like a week and a half for a family reunion/overseas vacation thing and they got an offer, but obviously this is going to be firm-specific.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Minnietron wrote:Reach out to HR and ask. I know several SAs at my firm who took one or two days off for vacation. I think our offers permitted two days.
I wouldnt ask HR, i would ask the recruiting coordinator.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Reach out to HR and ask. I know several SAs at my firm who took one or two days off for vacation. I think our offers permitted two days.
Who is...part of HR? Lawyers and semantics...

I took 3 days off during my summer. It didn't prevent me from getting an offer. Someone I know took a full week at another firm - didn't stop them from coming back either. Just ask the HR (recruiting - whatever) people; you'll most likely be fine for two days.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Who is...part of HR? Lawyers and semantics...

I took 3 days off during my summer. It didn't prevent me from getting an offer. Someone I know took a full week at another firm - didn't stop them from coming back either. Just ask the HR (recruiting - whatever) people; you'll most likely be fine for two days.
I agree that asking the recruiting coordinator rather than HR is the right move. The recruiting department (even if it has a close nexus with HR) is still most firms' designated point of contact for incoming summer associates with respect to administrative matters. It would be odd to look up an HR rep's contact info and to email that person out of the blue. They would end up looping in Recruiting anyway.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Nobody can tell you but your firm. Some firms give summers vacation (mine gave me a few days) and I can't imagine anyone being too upset, but it is firm specific.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Will be fine. Just say you are maid of honor or best man if they give you any push back. But just take off Friday. Leave late thurs or early Friday — but definitely work on Thursday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Will be fine. Just say you are maid of honor or best man if they give you any push back. But just take off Friday. Leave late thurs or early Friday — but definitely work on Thursday.
I disagree. Lying is never a good idea.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I let the firm know now, do you think they would take issue with me being gone?
Don't let the firm know now. They'll just forget about it and you'll have to tell them again.

If the firm is typical, you'll start hearing from them more during the spring about your upcoming summer program. Somewhere during that time (say, April-ish), I'd call or email the summer coordinator (or whoever is sending you stuff about the summer program) and ask if it's a problem if you're gone on X dates for your friend's wedding. It almost surely won't be an issue.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 pm

At my firm, I think pretty much all of the SAs ended up missing a day or two. I missed a week. Nobody cared. I let the recruiting coordinator know before the summer started, and I let the lawyers I worked with know. As long as you're liked and do satisfactory work while you're there, I highly doubt anyone cares.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 pm

My firm provided two days unpaid, if you've gave advanced notice. They better be important to lose 1400 dollars for two days salary and travel costs lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OneShot2009

New

Post by OneShot2009 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:06 am

I did this during my summer for the exact same reason. A very close friend was getting married. I mentioned it early, and got Thursday and Friday off (we were allowed one paid day off, so the second was them being kind.) I flew out late Wednesday night and made sure it would not interfere with work Wednesday.

I do not think this will affect your chance of getting an offer, unless there are already other things against you. Meaning, if you don't do your work or you aren't turning work in it might be another strike against you, but for a summer who otherwise is a great employee I don't think it will affect an offer chance.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 am

I’m at a smaller office (maybe 22 attorneys) but one of our two summers missed two days for a similar reason. I hadn’t even remembered until reading this thread. Don’t think anyone cared, and I definitely didn’t. Just to give you one more data point.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 am

My firm didn't have an official vacation/leave policy for SAs but people still asked for time off for weddings, clerkship interviews, etc. To my knowledge all of the requests were approved and didn't affect their paychecks. They all got offers too.

If it were me I'd try to get the earliest flight I possibly could on Friday, or maybe the latest on Thursday so I would still be in the office that day, instead of taking two full days for a wedding. Still I doubt taking two days is going to sink you, but better safe than sorry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”