Rejected offer for permanent job after graduation (need advice for going forward) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejected offer for permanent job after graduation (need advice for going forward)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Is it appropriate and/or wise to tell a potential employer that I rejected an offer of permanent employment (from my summer firm) to seek out opportunities more closely aligned with my interests? Advice from friends and classmates is conflicting, and I'm not sure about it either.

My worry with including this is that it makes me look bad in some way or like I'm over-explaining. Basically the only reason I see to include it is so that the potential employer realizes that I didn't get no-offered because of poor work quality. Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated!

(Currently leaning towards not including this info...)

toast and bananas

Bronze

Re: Rejected offer for permanent job after graduation (need advice for going forward)

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:07 pm

What's the context here? An interview? If so, just wait to bring it up until they ask about your summer. They likely will, since it's your most recent legal experience.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: Rejected offer for permanent job after graduation (need advice for going forward)

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:12 pm

I think it's pretty normal to put "permanent offer extended" on your resume when listing your summer firm. I would just do that and leave it there. If the subject of why you turned down the offer comes up in an interview or something, there's no harm in going into more detail (although it's also not necessary to do this in my opinion).

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm

I think fine to include in a cover letter when discussing your previous experiences ("Although I had an offer to return, I instead chose to pursue opportunities more closely aligned with my interests in [blah work]"). Agreed that I wouldn't bring it up in an interview unless prompted.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 pm

I did this and I didn't include any info about it in cover letters or on my resume or anything, but did bring it up during the interview. I was interviewing for a particular group that corresponded to my practice interests so I brought it up basically in the context of demonstrating a strong interest in the practice group. Basically, my theory was that it helped me come across as focused and dedicated, rather than desperately looking for any position. I got an offer, so that method seemed to work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you all for the responses. I hadn't thought of listing "permanent offer extended." That seems like a great idea rather than mentioning it in a cover letter. And my apologies for the lack of context... I was asking this question more generally in terms of when I apply for jobs and send in my materials. I wanted to know about including this info on either my resume or in a cover letter. As of now, I have no interviews, but hey I'll get something eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”