honeymoon between jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
villanovajew

New

honeymoon between jobs

Post by villanovajew » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 am

Hi TLS,

So I'm currently clerking for a state judge. My clerkship ends 8/31/18 and I'm getting married the following weekend. Afterwards, my fiance and I want to go on a 2 week honeymoon... hopefully, I will have a job lined up at that point. Do you think it's reasonable for me to request an October 1 start date or am I basically at any big firm's mercy in terms of when I would begin working after a clerkship? I'm concerned they may just say my start date is September 10th, which would conflict with our honeymoon.

Thanks.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: honeymoon between jobs

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 am

You can also *gasp* just talk to them and tell them you're going on your honeymoon then. That's one of those sacred things that even big lawyers understand.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LazyLASA

New

Post by LazyLASA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm

From what I've seen, a honeymoon is one of the few vacations where no-one will bother you under basically any circumstances. That and the birth of a child are pretty much the only true vacations you can get in BigLaw. I'd even consider a delayed honeymoon (or two mini-moons like I've seen some coworkers do) so you can take the vacation while getting paid. That being said, they should understand you asking to start late if you'd prefer to do the traditional thing and take a honeymoon directly after the wedding.

EDIT: I will mention that onboarding will be more difficult, as they generally have a program lined up for the first week for new associates, which you'd have to somehow make up (or never get to do).

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Most big firms will be able to accommodate your request for a later start date. I took six weeks off after my clerkship. My firm asked if I could start one week earlier than I had asked for, and I just said no. It was not a big deal.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 am

As it stands, you have unlimited time to take your honeymoon. Focus on getting a job before you worry about this stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Well, all we can really tell you is whether it's okay to ask - and the answer is: YES, of course ask.

I'd be shocked at any firm that told you "no" on this one...In many cases, once you have an offer, you can just tell them when you're able to start.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Start as late as you can. This could be your last chance to get a child-free, extended break from work until retirement or death.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”