Boies or PW for Lit (NYC)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Boies or PW?

Boies
71%
PW
29%

Total votes: 70

Anonymous User

Boies or PW for Lit (NYC)?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Hey All,

Looking for the normal stuff: substantive work experience, good pay, culture (though I know culture at Boies will be different b/c it's way smaller). What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Boies or PW for Lit (NYC)?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 pm

boies will give you better quality for work bc PW is hella leveraged and is not about lean staffing

both seem like profoundly unpleasant places to work

have you considered a smaller office? If you can get Boies maybe look to Patterson or a similar lit shop, if you can get it

This is also an odd time of year for this thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm

OP here. That's my general sense. What about lateral options? How do Boies and PW compare in terms of lateral options?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm

ugh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Where you want to lateral is important to consider. PW places a lot of people as AUSAs, especially in SDNY/EDNY. A lot of their partners participate in the revolving door between firms/DOJ, and so have connections that can be useful for getting associates jobs at the latter. Boies will probably make it easier to lateral into another litigation boutique.

Not that you can't go Boies to AUSA or PW to boutique -- I'm sure many people do that each year -- but there is also a discernible trend.

Also, one thing that was useful to me when making a similar decision was a v10 partner telling me that you can always go v10 to Boies/Susman/Munger/etc. but rarely if ever the other way around. Going to PW doesn't close doors in the same way starting at Boies does. Of course he had a stake in the game, but I got the sense that his advice was accurate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where you want to lateral is important to consider. PW places a lot of people as AUSAs, especially in SDNY/EDNY. A lot of their partners participate in the revolving door between firms/DOJ, and so have connections that can be useful for getting associates jobs at the latter. Boies will probably make it easier to lateral into another litigation boutique.

Not that you can't go Boies to AUSA or PW to boutique -- I'm sure many people do that each year -- but there is also a discernible trend.

Also, one thing that was useful to me when making a similar decision was a v10 partner telling me that you can always go v10 to Boies/Susman/Munger/etc. but rarely if ever the other way around. Going to PW doesn't close doors in the same way starting at Boies does. Of course he had a stake in the game, but I got the sense that his advice was accurate.
You drank the shit out of his Kool-Aid.

There may be another reason why you rarely see people go from Susman/Munger/Boies to a "V10."
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where you want to lateral is important to consider. PW places a lot of people as AUSAs, especially in SDNY/EDNY. A lot of their partners participate in the revolving door between firms/DOJ, and so have connections that can be useful for getting associates jobs at the latter. Boies will probably make it easier to lateral into another litigation boutique.

There may be another reason why you rarely see people go from Susman/Munger/Boies to a "V10."
Yeah, that seems backwards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. That's my general sense. What about lateral options? How do Boies and PW compare in terms of lateral options?
I’d wager slightly better for Boies but only bc leaner staffing = actually having to do real work earlier on.

Again, tho, if you have these options you probably have less painful ones. Strongly suggest you consider those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Why would anyone want to go from one of those ultra elite firms to a V10?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Where you want to lateral is important to consider. PW places a lot of people as AUSAs, especially in SDNY/EDNY. A lot of their partners participate in the revolving door between firms/DOJ, and so have connections that can be useful for getting associates jobs at the latter. Boies will probably make it easier to lateral into another litigation boutique.
This is completely incorrect. Boies has an outsized pipeline of laterals into (and out of) AUSA, DOJ, BigFed. Very few people lateral from Boies to another elite lit boutique, because why would they need to?
Anonymous User wrote:Also, one thing that was useful to me when making a similar decision was a v10 partner telling me that you can always go v10 to Boies/Susman/Munger/etc. but rarely if ever the other way around. Going to PW doesn't close doors in the same way starting at Boies does. Of course he had a stake in the game, but I got the sense that his advice was accurate.
I really, really, really, really hope you didn't rely on this V10 partner's advice when choosing firms, because literally the exact opposite is true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote: Also, one thing that was useful to me when making a similar decision was a v10 partner telling me that you can always go v10 to Boies/Susman/Munger/etc. but rarely if ever the other way around. Going to PW doesn't close doors in the same way starting at Boies does. Of course he had a stake in the game, but I got the sense that his advice was accurate.

Associates at those firms don't transfer to V10s for the same reason Yale students don't transfer to Columbia. If you're a lit associate it'd be a clear downgrade (unique circumstances withstanding).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
this is absolutely crazy

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Where you want to lateral is important to consider. PW places a lot of people as AUSAs, especially in SDNY/EDNY. A lot of their partners participate in the revolving door between firms/DOJ, and so have connections that can be useful for getting associates jobs at the latter. Boies will probably make it easier to lateral into another litigation boutique.
This is completely incorrect. Boies has an outsized pipeline of laterals into (and out of) AUSA, DOJ, BigFed. Very few people lateral from Boies to another elite lit boutique, because why would they need to?
Anonymous User wrote:Also, one thing that was useful to me when making a similar decision was a v10 partner telling me that you can always go v10 to Boies/Susman/Munger/etc. but rarely if ever the other way around. Going to PW doesn't close doors in the same way starting at Boies does. Of course he had a stake in the game, but I got the sense that his advice was accurate.
I really, really, really, really hope you didn't rely on this V10 partner's advice when choosing firms, because literally the exact opposite is true.
Well, someone smart enough to get offers from Boies/Susman or Munger surely wouldn't have heeded that advice.

outed for using anon as a license to be a dick

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
this is absolutely crazy
Not to pile on, but wanted to reiterate that this is nuts. The idea that Boies "closes doors" that PW doesn't is...wrong. You can go virtually anywhere from Boies/Susman/etc., but why would you want to? It's already pretty ideal if you're looking for big law environment, smaller firm and substantive work.

Also, at least in the D.C. office, a lot of people move between Boies and the government...like, constantly...I would assume that NYC office is somewhat similar, at least.

PW is a much larger firm - like waaaaay larger. Admittedly I haven't worked at either, but I imagine the size alone would shape your experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 pm

I don't have any real advice regarding the choices, but I'm a pw lit junior and have had a relatively good experience. It is a huge office though.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm

cron1834 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

It does (as everyone is saying), though you could make an argument that Boies is closer to PW than it is to Susman/Munger. Boies isn't old-school big law, but I think of it more as a Quinn/PW kind of shop (albeit with better compensation) and less of a Susman/Keker/W&C/MTO kind of place.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

It does (as everyone is saying), though you could make an argument that Boies is closer to PW than it is to Susman/Munger. Boies isn't old-school big law, but I think of it more as a Quinn/PW kind of shop (albeit with better compensation) and less of a Susman/Keker/W&C/MTO kind of place.
Well, while we didn't necessarily need 10 people to pile on, it is good that crowd-sourcing managed to clarify for this anon :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am

LMAO. Either you are a troll or an advanced spam robot. I refuse to believe someone is this naive. Coming from V10! lawyer if you doubt my creds.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:

LMAO. Either you are a troll or an advanced spam robot. I refuse to believe someone is this naive. Coming from V10! lawyer if you doubt my creds.
Sorry accidental anon

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

That's a little harsh. When I was a rising 2L doing OCI, partners at various firms said all sorts of bullshit to me that sounded believable at the time. It's tough for law students to know what's accurate. Though, if this anon poster is a 2L, I suppose it's fair to mock him for giving professional advice based on his "sense that [someone else's] advice was accurate."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:15 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's a little harsh. When I was a rising 2L doing OCI, partners at various firms said all sorts of bullshit to me that sounded believable at the time. It's tough for law students to know what's accurate. Though, if this anon poster is a 2L, I suppose it's fair to mock him for giving professional advice based on his "sense that [someone else's] advice was accurate."
And yet, the original anon made several either patently false or negligently misleading comments all in one post. Doesn't TLS exist for the very purpose of dispelling inaccuracies, rather than perpetuating them? I for one see nothing wrong with us giving them a hard time for something they could have refuted through 30 seconds of searching past threads on this forum.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:05 am

What are our thoughts on this hot take?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 am

FWIW: Check the Chambers & Partners attorney rankings. Boies has NOBODY through BAND FOUR even ranked (in NYC) aside from Boies and Schiller. Idk what that means for a 1st year associate, but it may say something about the quality of potential partners you might be able to work with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:19 pm

FWIW: Check the Chambers & Partners attorney rankings. Boies has NOBODY through BAND FOUR even ranked (in NYC) aside from Boies and Schiller. Idk what that means for a 1st year associate, but it may say something about the quality of potential partners you might be able to work with.
SOLID anon post.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SOLID anon post.
The irony is amazing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”