Need to switch markets next fall -- am I employable? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need to switch markets next fall -- am I employable?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:51 am

I graduated in the top 5% of my TT (ranked in the 50s-60s) in 2015. After law school, I litigated at a v100 firm in the northeast (not in MA) for 1.5 years. I wasn't thrilled with the type of cases I was being staffed on and was told that I wouldn’t get exposure to different types of cases for several more years. As a result, I began a lateral search planning to stay in biglaw, but ended up stumbling upon and accepting a job in state government.

I currently work in the non-partisan legal services office in my home state's Capitol. Our office is essentially in-house counsel to the state legislature; we advise and counsel members, and draft legislation. I like the work and love the lifestyle/benefits, but just learned that I will need to move to Boston next fall for my s/o's much more lucrative career. I am licensed in MA, but don’t have any connections there.

This will be my third job in a short amount of time and my experience is all over the place. Am I as screwed as I think I am?

Anybody have advice re: what type of jobs should I be targeting? I'd love to go in-house, but doubt that's a realistic possibility. I wouldn't mind going to a mid-sized or big firm, even in a non-partnership track position, but think that ship might have sailed. If a firm is still possible, I don't know what practice groups would want to hire me? By the time I need/plan to move, I will have equal experience (1.5 years) doing litigation and legislative work. I'd consider any attorney job, except a shitlaw firm. I would rather look for a jd preferred/compliance job at that point.

Is there anything I can/should be doing over the next year to increase my marketability and find a job?

Anonymous User

Re: Need to switch markets next fall -- am I employable?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 am

Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I can’t speak to what you should target, but I don’t think the number of jobs you’ve held will be an issue especially considering your reasoning. I personally am starting my fourth year of practice and am on my fourth job (2y followed by 1yr followed by 10m). My two most recent employers only asked why I wanted to leave, once, and that was it.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Would you consider working for the MA state government, either in the legislature or one of the executive agencies? That will open up additional opportunities for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:25 pm

You've worked consistently for 3 years for only 2 employers, both of whom are relatively "prestigious." You're very employable. Just network and apply broadly. Plenty of firms will appreciate your legislative experience, and if not, why not just look for other positions in MA state or local government? MA is one of the rare states where the state capital isn't some random town in the middle of nowhere, so you should have plenty of options. Just apply everywhere and make sure your reason for moving to boston is clearly communicated to potential employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can’t speak to what you should target, but I don’t think the number of jobs you’ve held will be an issue especially considering your reasoning. I personally am starting my fourth year of practice and am on my fourth job (2y followed by 1yr followed by 10m). My two most recent employers only asked why I wanted to leave, once, and that was it.
OP here. Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.

Were all of your jobs in the same market and practice area?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I plan to apply for state gov't positions. However, I'd like to explore other private-sector options, too. My current position has a unique set of benefits (11 weeks of PTO per year) that makes a state gov't salary a little more palatable.

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I plan to apply for state gov't positions. However, I'd like to explore other private-sector options, too. My current position has a unique set of benefits (11 weeks of PTO per year) that makes a state gov't salary a little more palatable.
11 weeks?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can’t speak to what you should target, but I don’t think the number of jobs you’ve held will be an issue especially considering your reasoning. I personally am starting my fourth year of practice and am on my fourth job (2y followed by 1yr followed by 10m). My two most recent employers only asked why I wanted to leave, once, and that was it.
OP here. Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.

Were all of your jobs in the same market and practice area?
First to second was totally different, second to third was somewhat similar, third to fourth was the same (biglaw to Fed gov same practice area).

I moved cities from my second to third job (50-100 miles) and across the country from my third to fourth job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:17 pm

longtimelurker123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I plan to apply for state gov't positions. However, I'd like to explore other private-sector options, too. My current position has a unique set of benefits (11 weeks of PTO per year) that makes a state gov't salary a little more palatable.
11 weeks?!

Yeah, it's kind of crazy. We don't get paid for overtime but can (and almost always do) accrue up to 5 weeks of comp. time. In addition, we get 3 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick time, and 3 personal days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”