Incoming prosecutor Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Incoming prosecutor

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Along the lines of the incoming litigation/corporate associate threads, I wanted to ask any prosecutors who might be reading this forum if they would be willing to share words of wisdom for those starting as incoming prosecutors this fall. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Anonymous User

Re: Incoming prosecutor

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Along the lines of the incoming litigation/corporate associate threads, I wanted to ask any prosecutors who might be reading this forum if they would be willing to share words of wisdom for those starting as incoming prosecutors this fall. Thanks in advance for any tips.
interested in this as well, are you in a big city office?

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Be as cordial as possible with members of the defense bar without getting taken advantage of. Life is a lot easier when the defense bar likes you.

Same goes with officers--they are your colleagues so you need to treat them with respect and value their input and opinion, but also do not let them drive the ship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Ronan wrote:Be as cordial as possible with members of the defense bar without getting taken advantage of. Life is a lot easier when the defense bar likes you.

Same goes with officers--they are your colleagues so you need to treat them with respect and value their input and opinion, but also do not let them drive the ship.
Totally agree with the above.

Unfortunately there are some defense counsel who will try to get things past you when you're new (i.e. "I've never heard of an offer like this for this kind of case!" when it's a completely typical offer). If it happens don't let it bother you but it's worth checking in with more experienced folks to the extent you can if someone tries this. Also some judges will give you a hard time when you're new just to see how you handle it - don't let this bother you, either.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ronan wrote:Be as cordial as possible with members of the defense bar without getting taken advantage of. Life is a lot easier when the defense bar likes you.

Totally agree with the above.

Unfortunately there are some defense counsel who will try to get things past you when you're new (i.e. "I've never heard of an offer like this for this kind of case!" when it's a completely typical offer). If it happens don't let it bother you but it's worth checking in with more experienced folks to the extent you can if someone tries this. Also some judges will give you a hard time when you're new just to see how you handle it - don't let this bother you, either.
Yeah OP all of this is true. Always check with a higher up if you're unsure.

Another piece of advice, try to figure out what the "unwritten policies" of your office are, especially in regards to offers.

A defense attorney once told me after I messed up in court: "Don't stress too much, everything you do in here can be reversed." Good advice.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:04 am

tagging

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”