Switching Firm + Practice + Region after First Year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lurking4Lyfe

New

Switching Firm + Practice + Region after First Year

Post by lurking4Lyfe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Just finished my first year in a general corporate practice at biglaw firm XYZ in major market ABC.

For personal and professional reasons I want to lateral to New York City to a different firm and do either general litigation, white collar or labor and employment.

I went to HYS, but don't have great grades. Any insight into how to land a gig seeing as I am not barred in New York and have no litigation experience? (outside of internships etc.)

Thanks!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Re: Switching Firm + Practice + Region after First Year

Post by deepseapartners » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Go clerk for a year. You'll take a bit of a salary hit but it's a clear indication of your serious intent to become a litigator, and you'll likely have an easier time finding an opening fresh out of a clerkship than otherwise. If clerking isn't an option, I would start reaching out to friends at NYC firms and gauging how busy their lit departments are, if they are looking for lateral candidates, etc. I don't think you'll have a difficult time moving to a different practice, as a lot of junior associate tasks are basically variations on a theme, but I would also play up any pro bono lit you've done/get on some ASAP if you haven't yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:57 pm

deepseapartners wrote:Go clerk for a year. You'll take a bit of a salary hit but it's a clear indication of your serious intent to become a litigator, and you'll likely have an easier time finding an opening fresh out of a clerkship than otherwise. If clerking isn't an option, I would start reaching out to friends at NYC firms and gauging how busy their lit departments are, if they are looking for lateral candidates, etc. I don't think you'll have a difficult time moving to a different practice, as a lot of junior associate tasks are basically variations on a theme, but I would also play up any pro bono lit you've done/get on some ASAP if you haven't yet.

Thanks, yea clerkship is probably a long-shot due to grades. But I can definitely check in with some of my classmates in the NYC market. I'll try that out and see if anything comes up! Thanks!

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:59 pm

deepseapartners wrote:Go clerk for a year. You'll take a bit of a salary hit but it's a clear indication of your serious intent to become a litigator, and you'll likely have an easier time finding an opening fresh out of a clerkship than otherwise. If clerking isn't an option, I would start reaching out to friends at NYC firms and gauging how busy their lit departments are, if they are looking for lateral candidates, etc. I don't think you'll have a difficult time moving to a different practice, as a lot of junior associate tasks are basically variations on a theme, but I would also play up any pro bono lit you've done/get on some ASAP if you haven't yet.
Isn't the problem here that, at this point, finding a clerkship for 18-19 is basically out of the question? So in a best-case scenario OP finds a clerkship for 19-20 and will be two years deep as a corp associate? What judge would even take you on at that point, nevermind what firm at the end of your clerkship in 2020?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”