Starting Fresh? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Starting Fresh?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 pm

It may be in my head, but sometimes it feels as if partners do not want to work with me after I have made 1 or 2 mistakes. I have tried very, very hard to identify mistakes I make -- usually small details like an error in a footer or something like that -- and fix my ways. But that said, how can I repair these relationships moving forward? I completely own my side of things and just want constructive advice on how you have managed to turn things around, or stories of people you've seen do this successfully.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: Starting Fresh?

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Not much you can do other than put your head down and work. I would make an effort to address any errors in a matter of fact tone and then move on. You don't need to grovel and, in my view, people will think less of you if you do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 pm

OP. Would it be best to speak to the partners in question, or just try to modify behaviors and hope the message gets spread? And if the former, what could I say? I'm thinking addressing the issue with the partners would be best...

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 pm

My advice is don't draw undue attention to your errors/bad work that are already in the past. The time to have acknowledged and/or addressed that was in the moment you asked for and/or were given feedback. If and only then simply acknowledge that you understand the mistake and let them know it won't happen again.

Moving forward, make it a point to produce high-quality work should you again get the opportunity. The work (and how your interact with them during that work) will have to speak for itself. PLEASE don't go groveling to their office, bringing up those minute mistakes you spotted from a random assignment several weeks ago, and then begging for work promising it won't happen again. Every once in a while, swing by their office and knock on their door to ask them if they need anything. More generally, occasionally ask how they think you're doing so far. Maybe some small-talk if they are welcoming and/or don't seem too busy. Nothing more, nothing less.

As an aside - if you never actually sought or heard feedback from them, it could be that them not liking working with you personally is in your head. Sometimes Partners are just too busy, unfortunately, to deal too much with new associates. And sometimes the work is just not there. Don't be too needy for affirmation if this is the case, but do continue to make your availability known and accept and provide high quality work when the time comes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”