Am I Making a Mistake? - Public Defender Track Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I Making a Mistake? - Public Defender Track

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am

Deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Am I Making a Mistake? - Public Defender Track

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:30 pm

I mean it would only help for you to spend some time there but it isn't really that big of an issue especially since you are showing commitment and you have a super valid reason for wanting to work in that area.

But Maryland is a state wide office and kind of shitty. They don't do pre bar hiring, they'll hire a few grad clerks that get paid shit and if you pass the bar there's no guarantee that you'll definitely be hired. Plus with the state wide caveat I don't know how well they can promise placement.

Unsure about VA hiring.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Am I Making a Mistake? - Public Defender Track

Post by deadpanic » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I cannot speak to the hiring of those offices specifically, so I will let someone else answer that.

It is kind of a crap-shoot in general, though, from my limited knowledge. On one hand, you are showing commitment to public defense and you are interning at a pretty large and respected PD office, so those both help. I doubt the specific knowledge of the state law would be a hindrance, but they will likely have a preference for former interns that do.

On the other hand, government hiring is all about timing and funding. So, if they don't have the need or resources to hire a PD when you graduate, you may be doing nothing until an opening pops up. So don't rely on an open spot. Apply real early. Be prepared to hustle and take on criminal appointed cases or potentially intern. Also, from my understanding, northern VA is highly competitive (and expensive), but you probably already know this.

The other problem is you are going to have to figure out where to take the bar. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”