How to not be the 1 or 2 people who get no offered... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to not be the 1 or 2 people who get no offered...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 pm

If you look at NALP numbers across firms, specifically V20, etc., it's usual to see across the entire firm maybe 1 or 2 out of ~150 not getting offers.
Do you think those 1 or 2 are just very poor fits/do not try hard, or it kind of just random. Basically, is there anyway to avoid being the very small percent that is no offered

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: How to not be the 1 or 2 people who get no offered...

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Don't assault your co-workers, don't make racist/homophobic/etc. jokes, and probably most importantly: don't be a weirdo. But you are off to a bad start worrying about this in freakin SEPTEMBER.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 pm

I know, for example, someone at Latham who was no offered some years ago. He/she was not offered at least in part because he/she did not make an effort to socialize both at summer events and in the normal course. He/she just hung out with his/her fiance/e instead of going out and didn't make an attempt to do many lunches with attorneys or other summers.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 pm

- Be normal
- Don't drink too much
- Turn work in on time

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:But you are off to a bad start worrying about this in freakin SEPTEMBER.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notrub14

New

Post by notrub14 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 pm

meeting deadlines>>>>quality of work product

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm

notrub14 wrote:meeting deadlines>>>>quality of work product
Not necessarily.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Not necessarily.
The key is communication. If the deadline is not going to allow you to turn in decent work, don't fire off garbage just to hit the deadline. Get in touch with the attorney who has assigned it, explain that it is taking you a little longer, and ask if they prefer a rougher draft now or or a more polished version a few days past the deadline. A lot of this is common sense really.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:A lot of this is common sense really.
Welcome to TLS you must be new here

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:51 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:I know, for example, someone at Latham who was no offered some years ago. He/she was not offered at least in part because he/she did not make an effort to socialize both at summer events and in the normal course. He/she just hung out with his/her fiance/e instead of going out and didn't make an attempt to do many lunches with attorneys or other summers.
FWIW I did exactly that this summer (spouse not fiance) and still got an offer. Literally went to 0 evening events and never initiated lunches or anything like that.

My work product was good and on time, and I wasn't creepy or inappropriate. My impression is that that's usually enough.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:A lot of this is common sense really.
Welcome to TLS you must be new here
Hope springs eternal.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:I know, for example, someone at Latham who was no offered some years ago. He/she was not offered at least in part because he/she did not make an effort to socialize both at summer events and in the normal course. He/she just hung out with his/her fiance/e instead of going out and didn't make an attempt to do many lunches with attorneys or other summers.
FWIW I did exactly that this summer (spouse not fiance) and still got an offer. Literally went to 0 evening events and never initiated lunches or anything like that.

My work product was good and on time, and I wasn't creepy or inappropriate. My impression is that that's usually enough.
While it worked for you, it's a riskier decision. Most firms don't want to mess with a 100% offer rate, but I think Smokey's advice is right here. OP, if you want to play it safe, try to show up to some of the social events and socialize. Beyond that, be normal, turn shit in on time, and communicate when with the lawyers who gave you the assignment.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Social events is just an easy way to trim the fat when firms over offer, normally it won't be a basis to no offer bc who gives a shit really as long as you aren't affirmatively weird and offputting when people do see you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:12 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Not necessarily.
The key is communication. If the deadline is not going to allow you to turn in decent work, don't fire off garbage just to hit the deadline. Get in touch with the attorney who has assigned it, explain that it is taking you a little longer, and ask if they prefer a rougher draft now or or a more polished version a few days past the deadline. A lot of this is common sense really.
Yep.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:19 am

Turn things in on time and don't throw up on a partner.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 am

Here are the things I've seen result in a no offer:

1 - trying to be funny and coming across as a clown that couldn't get serious for work.

2 - taking too much work and then working all hours of the night and turning in shitty half assed work because the person was rushing to get to the next project. It's totally okay to say "hey I really want to work with you but I have a log jam of time sensitive assignments."

3 - being incredibly needy and indecisive. This person would ask several associates (on matters the associates weren't working on) to review every one of his assignments before the person would submit. It was fine at first but it turned into several times a day all summer, and evebtually some people decided they couldn't work with the guy full time.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

Any anecdata on weird associates who were canned or simply not hired?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am

downing wrote:Any anecdata on weird associates who were canned or simply not hired?
One of the summers in my small summer class, say under 10, was extremely weird but nice. Would leave events early (almost all of them) and didn't seem interested in being there. By all accounts his work was fine and he was very nice, but didn't socialize well. He was no offered purely because of that (or so I have gathered). At places with smaller classes, they can be very concerned about fit and social interactions because there isn't hiding a few weird people like you could in a larger class. He wasn't even that weird, he just wasn't very social and that cost him a job.

Wonnker

New

Post by Wonnker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 am

downing wrote:Any anecdata on weird associates who were canned or simply not hired?
Don't cover your workspace with pictures of your coworkers' children. I get it, you think they're beautiful, but your co-workers will find it off-putting.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

Wonnker wrote:
Don't cover your workspace with pictures of your coworkers' children. I get it, you think they're beautiful, but your co-workers will find it off-putting.
how about pictures of your coworkers' parents' houses?

Wonnker

New

Post by Wonnker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 am

Hand wrote:
Wonnker wrote:
how about pictures of your coworkers' parents' houses?
I think that is completely fine and normal. Obviously.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Barring obviously egregious actions like shitting on a partner's desk, there's no way to know why someone was no-offered. A weird person's work product might have been horrible, but people usually aren't going to openly shit on summers to other summers. It's probably a combination of factors.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Barring obviously egregious actions like shitting on a partner's desk, there's no way to know why someone was no-offered. A weird person's work product might have been horrible, but people usually aren't going to openly shit on summers to other summers. It's probably a combination of factors.
This is correct, and it's a reason to be wary of categorical pronouncements like "you're fine so long as you don't blow deadlines." It just depends. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't ding a summer for blowing a deadline, but I probably would say something if the summer submitted an incoherent or illiterate memo.

Wonnker

New

Post by Wonnker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:22 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Barring obviously egregious actions like shitting on a partner's desk, there's no way to know why someone was no-offered. A weird person's work product might have been horrible, but people usually aren't going to openly shit on summers to other summers. It's probably a combination of factors.
Do you think this rule applies to all bodily fluids, or just feces? What if it is involuntary?

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Some thoughts:

1) Treat the attorneys you work for as if they were clients.
2) Be constantly available (answer all your emails promptly).
3) Be very, very polite to support staff and never think you are better than anyone at the firm.
4) Never be the drunkest SA in the room and never become known as the "drunk SA."
5) Don't act like you are part of the club yet, you will be part of the club when you are hired.
6) Be. A. Normal. Person.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”