Do I have to be a member of a bar association? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Do I have to be a member of a bar association?

Post by L_William_W » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 pm

I apologize if this is the wrong forum

I'm a 32 year old graduate of CUNY Law School in NYC. I passed the NJ Bar (and I'm praying to Jesus that I passed the NY Bar. I'll find out in 5 weeks). I'm a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association. However, I've derived no benefit whatsoever from my membership. The only thing the NJSBA has done for me is take my money. I've attended a few networking events and met some of the most snooty douchebags. I recently received a letter stating that I have to pay $185 to renew my membership. Obviously, I'm reluctant to renew my membership. Is it mandatory that I be a member of a bar association in the state where I'm licensed?

Jchance

Silver

Re: Do I have to be a member of a bar association?

Post by Jchance » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 pm

No.

I don't even want to join bar association even when the membership is free. Why would it be mandatory?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 pm

You don't have to.

I'd suggest joining some local professional association so you can start going to events and networking, though. YMMV based on market I suppose but here, it pays to know the people in power at the local county bar associations. They can make or break your career depending on your aspirations down the road.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 am

You don't have to be but most states I think have out-of-state membership prices. So if you primarily practice in NY, you might be able to get a reduced fee for NJ's Bar Assoc. Also, most firms will reimburse you for a few yearly fees.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm

It is more important to be a member of the County Bar Association in the county in which you practice. Usually reduced price for CLEs etc. Social events tend to be free etc. Our state bar membership does provide for reduction in rental cars and CLEs also.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”