Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aromano95

New

Removed

Post by aromano95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Removed
Last edited by aromano95 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Reneging an acceptance

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Just to clarify, you have offers from firm A and B. You accepted A, but wish you had accepted B [C, D, E or F]. You have not turned rejected any offers from the other firms. Yes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Remived
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:Just to clarify, you have offers from firm A and B. You accepted A, but wish you had accepted B [C, D, E or F]. You have not turned rejected any offers from the other firms. Yes?
Accepted A, turned down B, but thinking turning down B was a problem. B told me though "if you change your mind at any point, let us know"
This seems very dicey to me, so I wouldn't do it. But I'm risk averse AF. So i'll let others chime in.

lilboat

New

Post by lilboat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Act fast if you're sure about this. Call B tomorrow with your hat in hand and tell them you've had a change of heart. If they're willing to re-extend your offer, great. Call A and explain what happened, they won't be thrilled and it'll be an awkward conversation but you won't be the first person ever to do this. Obviously don't renege on your offer from A before being sure you still have an offer from B. Your career services office will be pissed if they find out about this and you're burning your bridge with A forever but it's unlikely that this will have a tangible negative impact on your life/reputation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm

lilboat wrote:Act fast if you're sure about this. Call B tomorrow with your hat in hand and tell them you've had a change of heart. If they're willing to re-extend your offer, great. Call A and explain what happened, they won't be thrilled and it'll be an awkward conversation but you won't be the first person ever to do this. Obviously don't renege on your offer from A before being sure you still have an offer from B. Your career services office will be pissed if they find out about this and you're burning your bridge with A forever but it's unlikely that this will have a tangible negative impact on your life/reputation.
If you were to do it, and I really mean "if" because this seems like a bad idea (what's stopping you from changing your mind again the next day?), this is correct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 pm

To jump off of OP's topic:

Is it a big issue if you say, get an offer early 3L through OCI but then get something better in spring/just before graduation and reneg on your original acceptance? What are the consequences aside from torching any future relationship with the previous employer?

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To jump off of OP's topic:

Is it a big issue if you say, get an offer early 3L through OCI but then get something better in spring/just before graduation and reneg on your original acceptance? What are the consequences aside from torching any future relationship with the previous employer?
If we're still talking firms ("employer" seems more vague), it's pretty much the same consequences as reneging at any other time. You're likely burning bridges with the firm you renege on and your chances of being able to lateral there if you have buyer's remorse are slim. But if you don't care about never going to Firm A and if you don't care if your school's CS chews you out over it, it's unlikely to prevent you from going somewhere else in the future.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 pm

There once was a time when your word was your bond. Now we live in a world where you do whatever you can get away with if you think it's in your self-interest to do it. So go for it!

User outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:There once was a time when your word was your bond. Now we live in a world where you do whatever you can get away with if you think it's in your self-interest to do it. So go for it!
brave anon

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:35 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:Just to clarify, you have offers from firm A and B. You accepted A, but wish you had accepted B [C, D, E or F]. You have not turned rejected any offers from the other firms. Yes?
Accepted A, turned down B, but thinking turning down B was a problem. B told me though "if you change your mind at any point, let us know"
This seems very dicey to me, so I wouldn't do it. But I'm risk averse AF. So i'll let others chime in.
I wouldn't do it.
There once was a time when your word was your bond. Now we live in a world where you do whatever you can get away with if you think it's in your self-interest to do it. So go for it!
I'm sure way back in those days, a person's employers' word also meant something, but we now live in a world where firms can and will rescind offers at will if it's in their best interest to do it. So, yeah, while burning bridges is always a concern for anybody considering reneging on an accepted offer, I don't think the above comment helps anything.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There once was a time when your word was your bond. Now we live in a world where you do whatever you can get away with if you think it's in your self-interest to do it. So go for it!
brave anon
Yeah dude. My people risked getting dragged into the street to protect his rights to be anon.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 am

I would be interested in how employers treated their labor during those halcyon days of which you speak.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 am

aromano95 wrote:Not sure if I just have buyer's remorse or if I made a big mistake choosing the firm I did. Putting aside whether or not I could get myself back into the firm I turned down, How unheard of is it to renege on an accepted offer? Would it destroy my reputation? whats my recourse in this situation? Options?
I accepted today.

It would be helpful to know whether this is a small market or not. The smaller the market, the more negative your returns on reneging on the acceptance.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Unless there is a really clear reason to prefer firm B, you should just sleeping dogs lie. They may have said "let us know if things change," but that is probably just a pleasantry. If they do still have room for you, they'll wonder why you changed your mind. If you have a bad reason, they'll question your judgment.

If there's a good personal reason, like different locations, that's another issue. But if it's just cold feet about going to one NYC V50 firm over another, I'd just sleep in the bed you've made. Trust me, they're probably not that different anyway.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:My people risked getting dragged into the street to protect his rights to be anon.
bears?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm

I also wouldn't do it, especially if your decision has to do with lifestyle/prestige. Lifestyle is incredibly context dependent, probably even coming down to your direct supervisor. Firm, office, and sometimes even group, is too general to predict lifestyle. Prestige is important, but less important than work experience, which is also hard to predict.

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Assuming this is an S.A.? If you hadn't rejected Firm B, i'd say go for it. However, since you have rejected them, I think it's a bad look to go back.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:My people risked getting dragged into the street to protect his rights to be anon.
bears?
Yo bears are people too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”