Philadelphia or Wilmington? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lake_b

New

Philadelphia or Wilmington?

Post by lake_b » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 am

Last edited by lake_b on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia or Wilmington?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

Do you want to be DE local counsel? If not, choose Philly.

lake_b

New

Post by lake_b » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 am

So even if you do alternative entities work or bankruptcy, it would still be within a local counsel role?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am

lake_b wrote:So even if you do alternative entities work or bankruptcy, it would still be within a local counsel role?
My non-RLF DE firm takes lead on our bankruptcy matters more often than not

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am

lake_b wrote:So even if you do alternative entities work or bankruptcy, it would still be within a local counsel role?
Alt entities, yes. Above anon is correct w/r/t BR to some extent, but the power dynamic Is such that you would still be de facto second fiddle. It gets weird (read, more complex than I can get into right now) in that BR is often lead counsel as to a subsidiary, whereas forwarding counsel is lead counsel as to a parent company.

Short answer, if you're set on BR, it's a closer call. But as a summer, you don't know which group you will ultimately end up at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:56 pm

nvm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Alt entities, yes. Above anon is correct w/r/t BR to some extent, but the power dynamic Is such that you would still be de facto second fiddle. It gets weird (read, more complex than I can get into right now) in that BR is often lead counsel as to a subsidiary, whereas forwarding counsel is lead counsel as to a parent company.

Short answer, if you're set on BR, it's a closer call. But as a summer, you don't know which group you will ultimately end up at.
Fully agree with the above. I work in BR and RLF is a fantastic local counsel and involved in the largest cases, but they're not leading restructurings (nor are other DE firms) so keep that in mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Are you married/about to marry and want to settle down and raise a family? If so, go to Delaware - great suburbs around Wilmington, not a bad commute, and a gem of a place on the east coast to raise kids.

Are you not? Go Philly.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you married/about to marry and want to settle down and raise a family? If so, go to Delaware - great suburbs around Wilmington, not a bad commute, and a gem of a place on the east coast to raise kids.

Are you not? Go Philly.
I'd much rather be in Philly or south jersey suburbs and it's not close.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am

slightly different question - what is the process like lateraling into Philly biglaw and what are the best firms to target? (from NY/Chicago/DC/SF biglaw)

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you married/about to marry and want to settle down and raise a family? If so, go to Delaware - great suburbs around Wilmington, not a bad commute, and a gem of a place on the east coast to raise kids.

Are you not? Go Philly.
Philly is like a 30 minute commute in and out, really not a big deal to live there and work in Wilmington

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Are you not? Go Philly.
Philly is like a 30 minute commute in and out, really not a big deal to live there and work in Wilmington
I meant that if the determinative factor between working in phila and working in DE was the quality of suburbs, then I'd pick philly burbs (including south jersey).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Are you not? Go Philly.
Some grade A trolling here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you not? Go Philly.
There's nothing wrong with Wilmington. I grew up in the suburbs around there and I would move back there in a heartbeat if I could find a job out there. This is coming from someone who has lived 4+ years in "sexy" cities like NY and SF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you not? Go Philly.
Definintely not trolling... Wilm downtown is shitty, but once you get outside, it gets really really nice (massive homes, huge yards). Very conducive to family life.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you not? Go Philly.
The irony of anon shitposting making this "observation"...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Definintely not trolling... Wilm downtown is shitty, but once you get outside, it gets really really nice (massive homes, huge yards). Very conducive to family life.
Got it. I still disagree, but this is a little more reasonable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:slightly different question - what is the process like lateraling into Philly biglaw and what are the best firms to target? (from NY/Chicago/DC/SF biglaw)
I work at Pepper Hamilton. We'll pretty much take anyone. Standards are low. Submit your resume. Also, just FYI, Pepper pays absurdly below market bonuses, so there's that too. Seriously though, we're hiring. I mean, I'm leaving, and at least in my, there's like 2 associates who are home grown above 4th year because Pepper treats its juniors so badly, but by all means, you can use Pepper to lateral to Philly. Door's open.

(And with that ringing endorsement, I sign off for the evening).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:17 am

does anyone have insight into Dechert or Morgan Lewis in Philly? hours/quality of life/compensation/bonuses/face time/etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”