3L No Job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L No Job

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Barely above median 3l at a t2

Worked at a small firm over the summer, attorneys indicated they were interested in me working there after graduation, was just told today that they won't be hiring.

I feel like I just wasted 3 years/100k

What do I do?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 3L No Job

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm sorry you are in this position, but I mean you probably knew taking out 100k in loans for a t2 would likely put you in this exact position. Just network and work your ass off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:I'm sorry you are in this position, but I mean you probably knew taking out 100k in loans for a t2 would likely put you in this exact position. Just network and work your ass off.
I won't have debt, I wasted 100k of my parents money though

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Do you want to be an attorney? If so, go to places/practices that are under-lawyered.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Apply for jobs and network. You'll find something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Barely above median 3l at a t2

Worked at a small firm over the summer, attorneys indicated they were interested in me working there after graduation, was just told today that they won't be hiring.

I feel like I just wasted 3 years/100k

What do I do?
You have to buck up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. So what you weren't hired at the small firm? Put on big boys pants, immediately start to apply for jobs and network, do the best to get your grades up this year, and focus on passing the bar. Something may or may not work out right away, but if you truly want to be a lawyer, then you did not waste the 3 years and/or the money. The time and the money were necessary for you to become a lawyer; no one guaranteed that you would get a job (at least right away).

Good luck.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:I'm sorry you are in this position, but I mean you probably knew taking out 100k in loans for a t2 would likely put you in this exact position. Just network and work your ass off.
I won't have debt, I wasted 100k of my parents money though
Then take a deep breath (srs). Start just looking on LinkedIn/Indeed/Symplicity for ANY job that sounds remotely interesting and requires a JD. This may even HR, compliance at a bank, working for an insurance company etc..

If you truly want a small firm job your life will be more difficult (e.g. need to pass the bar first).

You don't have debt, pick something that interests you, and somewhere that interests you.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 am

I was in a similar position 3L and ended up with a much better job than the one I had 2L summer. Just keep applying and networking throughout the year and you'll be alright.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 am

sparkytrainer wrote:I'm sorry you are in this position, but I mean you probably knew taking out 100k in loans for a t2 would likely put you in this exact position.
Shut the fuck up

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am

Mass mail alumni from your LS in every market and prepare to drink a lot of coffee.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 am

Could you be more of a douchebag?

OP- I was a 3L without a job until literally graduation and it worked out and now I am working in my first choice market.

Keep hustling. Mass mail everywhere. That wasn't working for me so I sent out physical applications (old school right and not conventional wisdom here) but landed my job I have now that way. Most important thing is don't quit. It feels like everyone is employed already -- they aren't. Or, if they are, they will likely hate their lives soon (sorry, all). Keep the faith dude you will find something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Umm, it's only September. You have time...A bit soon to jump to the "I wasted 3-years and 100k" conclusion. [to be fair to some of the other douchey posts, this seems to be inviting a pity party].

Finding a job as an attorney isn't by any means easy, but if you're putting in the maximum effort you will probably be fine. You're seriously going to have to find some degree of drive and belief in yourself though, because it's gonna feel even more hopeless if you just wallow for 8 months until graduation...

Just as an aside, I'm one of the few who got lucky and found a big law job in spring before graduation having never done a SA. I'm not saying everyone will be so lucky, but you can probably find SOMETHING whether it's what you want to do long-term or not...

See the Vail of Tears thread...You're not alone and things do come along.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Dude, if your parents paid for it you have literally way less pressure than most people.

Some of us are actually in debt we're responsible for, lol.

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Yeah you'll be fine. The fact that you don't have debt means you have tons of flexibility, both in the nature of the job you can take and geography. Think of it like it's an advantage to you, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”